Squirl's Nest

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Our trek to Harbor Island

While Ichabod and I are staying closer to the Michigan lakeshore we decided we would visit a place we've always enjoyed, Harbor Island. Longer ago than I can remember it was the city dump. Right on the river, no less. There was a lot of wild field out there where they dumped the dredgings from the river, too. The end part, which is now the Municipal launching ramp, used to be where teenagers went to partake in illicit drugs and premarital sex. None of that anymore. Big redo here. Loads of local and tourist boaters.

It's still pretty even though they did turn the field into soccer fields. The water has gone down dramatically in recent years, too. There are plenty of places one can walk that used to be covered in water. Here's one of them.

Harbor Island2

Instead of water when you look down you see things like this.

Harbor Island3

Here's one of the decks they built out to what used to be water when they did the big redo.

Harbor Island5

There is a railroad track going through the edge of Harbor Island to Grand Haven that had to go over the water. Ichabod and I used to walk over the tracks to get over there. I was always scared to go over the water part of it. It made me feel really brave when I could make it across. Well, recently, they added a walkway on the side. All that money for a bunch of wusses. This picture turned out to be a weird blue color, I don't know why. I'll try posting it anyway. Looks like the picture is too small. If you're truly curious you'll need to click on the picture and go to my Flickr account.

Harbor Island8

There is some beautiful wildlife here, too.

Blue Heron2

And we've seen deer tracks here but never one standing right there. Remember, this is in the city.

Deer

But this was the most fun of all. When the water went down this showed up. People were in a panic that there had been a cemetary here. Turns out when the company making the headstones made a mistake they just dumped them in the water.

Tombstone

Anyway, it was a fun trip. If you ever get to Grand Haven, MI, you might want to check it out.

25 comments

Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Um..sure, all those headstones are mistakes.
Whatever lets you sleep at night...

(on a sincere note, love the photos!)

Wed Jun 29, 05:35:00 PM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

Great pictures!
I especially love the deer photo.

Are the headstones just going to stay there?

Wed Jun 29, 07:11:00 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

Would you not die on the spot to find one of those stones with your last name on it? Yikes.

Wed Jun 29, 08:11:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Bucky, actually this is the only one that was ever found. The others probably went out deeper and didn't get caught by the shore. Thanks, Ichabod took the ones of the heron, deer and tombstone.

Sierrabella, thanks, I guess there's really no reason to do anything with the stone. It was quite a few years ago that the water receded and it was found.

Mr B, has all the makings of a good horror story, doesn't it. :-)

Wed Jun 29, 08:38:00 PM  
Blogger LadyBug said...

Great photo essay! Reminds me of some of Danielle's.

The part about the headstone company dumping them in the water cracked me up. I'd be a little skeptical, though.

Wed Jun 29, 11:38:00 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

You took some really lovely pictures. I like the one with the big tree in the background.
My daughter and I have returned from our trip to Asia. I've posted a link to pictures. Hope you stop by.

Thu Jun 30, 05:25:00 AM  
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

Markings indeed.

Thu Jun 30, 09:19:00 AM  
Blogger Effie said...

Ooh--that looks quite nice--where in Michigan is Grand Haven? My hubby and I like to do adventures and drive everywhere--that could be part of a destination sometime...

Oh, and FYI, I posted the cookie recipe!

Thu Jun 30, 09:38:00 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Ladybug, thanks. I always love it when Danielle does those. As far as the headstone, there was an obvious mistake on it so I guess it could be true. Not as much fun with that story though.

Jamie Dawn, welcome back and thank you. I will have to check out your site now.

Mr B, Ichabod was reading these comments last night and said that your idea would make a good Twilight Zone. :-)

Effie, Grand Haven is definitely a tourist spot. It's on the west shore of Michigan just as that side of it starts to bend in. The next closest larger city is Muskegon which is just north of Grand Haven. GH has the world's largest musical fountain, too!

Thu Jun 30, 11:24:00 AM  
Blogger Kranki said...

What a beautiful spot. I love all the lily pads in the deer photo. And I love the deer too.

Thu Jun 30, 01:10:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Hi Kranki, thank you. We were so thrilled to see that deer ourselves. He disappeared once on us but came back out. I apologize that I haven't made it to your site in a couple of days. I promise to read and comment soon. :-)

Thu Jun 30, 01:27:00 PM  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Oh, you had to go and mention the Musical Fountain, didn't you?
Growin' up in Grand Haven, you'd hear the narrator's voice boomin' out across town. It was like the voice of some touristy deity. Comforting and creepy, all at once.

Thu Jun 30, 08:29:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Yeah, Bucky, I felt compelled to talk about the musical fountain. Can't let all that German engineering go to waste. :-) And we could here it at our house at night.

Thu Jun 30, 09:03:00 PM  
Blogger greatwhitebear said...

I have always liked Grand Haven, ever since i was a kid and we'd vacation "across state" to the Lake.

Your photos are great! really enjoyed them!

Fri Jul 01, 02:09:00 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Thanks, GreatWhite. Grand Haven really is a nice little town. There are things to do. Not one restaurant downtown is a chain. And you have places like Harbor Island. Maybe some day I'll move back there.

Fri Jul 01, 08:02:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, this certainly inspires me to finish putting together one of the photo essays that have been mulling around in my head from our trip to Minneapolis. *grin* And goodness knows I have lots of opportunities from my trip to Hoosier-land. ;-)

I really like that they turned an old dump and decrepit area into something so lovely. And that you got to
A) enjoy it and
B) share it with us.

There was a part of me thinking I'd been to Grand Haven, but then I realized that I recognize the name because of Grand Haven, CT. oops.

I saw a heron recently and thought of you. Couldn't photograph it though, had to just appreciate it.

Fri Jul 01, 08:48:00 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Kitty, thanks. You should go out there sometime when you're by the lakeshore.

Danielle, thanks. Thanks to Ichabod letting me use his digital camera I was able to post these pictures. I love seeing the blue herons, too. They can be elusive when there's a camera around, though. Looking forward to more of your trip pics.

Fri Jul 01, 10:53:00 AM  
Blogger eclectic said...

What...no squirrels?? Oh. They heard about you and made themselves scarce, didn't they? ;)

Fri Jul 01, 12:24:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Eclectic, Bucky's lucky she's out of state right now. All I know is that she told me to hold the little squirrel and pose. She's such a degenerate.

Fri Jul 01, 01:11:00 PM  
Blogger Spurious Nurse said...

So pretty! This is beautiful. It looks so restful.

You lovely photographer, you.

Fri Jul 01, 04:29:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Thanks, Plum.

Fri Jul 01, 05:10:00 PM  
Blogger Ern said...

Looks like a great place to spend a day!

Fri Jul 01, 09:42:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Hi Ern, if you're ever in the area do go there. I can't imagine what could get someone from California to West Michigan, but, hey, who knows?

Sat Jul 02, 06:36:00 AM  
Blogger August95 said...

Hi Squirl, I thought for sure I had commented here. I love these pictures and the deer pic is great. Glad you had a nice 4th of July weekend.

Tue Jul 05, 12:15:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Hi August95, thanks. I really like the deer picture, too. You know, sometimes I'm positive that I've commented somewhere but it's nowhere to be seen.

Tue Jul 05, 01:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home