Squirl's Nest

Monday, August 13, 2007

Alaska Vacation Part 1

Ichabod and I had been tossing around the idea of using a larger vehicle for the trip. I was planning to fly home, so he thought he might like to camp along the way. He also was planning a trip up to the Arctic Ocean after I left and we didn't want either of our cars going up the long gravel road.

So on the Thursday before we left he found a 96 Pontiac Trans Sport van. The price was below $2000 and it looked pretty good. It started well. But then the owner said it had no air conditioning. Ichabod thought that was fine. I shot him a look that said I thought he didn't know what he was talking about, but we got it anyway. While I, obviously, didn't die of heat stroke, there were some very uncomfortable days until we got well through Canada. :-)

Friday night and Saturday morning we loaded up.
DSCN4137

A spider thought it might hitch a ride. I'll bet he didn't make it very far. You might have to click on the picture and check out the large size to really see him.
DSCN4139

We finally got away by 9:00. I'd been hoping to leave by 7:00, but we were feeling too lazy for that. This had us going through Chicago a bit later than we'd hoped, which slowed us down some. Fargo, ND, is all the further we ended up making it the first day. Here are some shots from that day.
DSCN4143
DSCN4147

On Sunday we really tried to make some time as we wanted to meet Eclectic for lunch in the middle of Washington by noon Monday. We saw some great white egrets and lovely sunflower fields. But we were moving right along, so no pictures of those. But we decided to stop to get pictures of the forest fires in Montana. I'm sorry they happened, but might as well grab the photo op.
DSCN4172
DSCN4172

The fires made for a gorgeous sunset, too. Of course, we didn't stop for this so these are through a dirty windshield.
DSCN4189
DSCN4192
DSCN4165

That night we made it as far as St Regis, MT. It's not fun driving on curvy mountain roads after dark, so we figured that was as good a stopping point as any. The next post will be more about getting there.

If you'd like to see this set of pictures here's the link. There are five sets altogether.

Labels: , ,

20 comments

Blogger ToadyJoe said...

Wow, gorgeous shots!!! One day we'll see Alaska from the other side too (as in... not from a cruise ship). I'm off to bookmark your flickr so I can fully devote myself to looking at all 5 sets later!

Mon Aug 13, 12:37:00 PM  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

Squirel these are beautiful. Sounds like you had a wonderful time and awaiting more details on the trip. Did Ichabod come home with you then? Or is he still out traveling the trip line?? LOL..

Mon Aug 13, 12:48:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, Squirl, for allowing me to vicariously join you on your trip. I look forward to the next part!

Mon Aug 13, 02:29:00 PM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

To me, vacation doesn't really start until we hit the mountains. We're not big prairie fans, so we generally whiz through the prairie states or provinces.
Your fire shots are so impressive!

Mon Aug 13, 05:04:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Toadyjoe, hi! Nice to see you. Yeah, we took a one-day cruise, but, I had fun being based inland. There really is a lot of stuff to see.

Tweety, thanks! It was fun. I just hung up from talking to Ichabod. He's driving through Dawson Creek, British Columbia. I knew I didn't want to take as much time off as he did. Plus, he'll sleep in the van where I insist on a hotel room. :-)

Nick, you're very welcome. I'll see how soon I can my butt in gear to write the next installment.

tshsmom, the mountains really are beautiful. Slower driving, yes, but beautiful. Thanks!

Mon Aug 13, 05:35:00 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

It is nice to have the story to go with the shots. I had been wondering about the weird red sky pictures until I finally realized there was fire in some of them (the darker ones).

I'm so glad you've got your photos up on Flickr. :-D

Mon Aug 13, 05:52:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Danielle, yeah, I don't into any detail on Flickr, except for the tags, I guess. There isn't a lot of story most days as there was a lot of just sitting in the car navigating. The days lasted anywhere from 10 to, I think, 14 hours depending on daylight, vacancies, etc. Thanks!

Mon Aug 13, 06:01:00 PM  
Blogger eclectic said...

Oh wow!! There's something so sobering about a big blaze like that, and yet, so irresistable too. Beautiful!!!

Mon Aug 13, 10:22:00 PM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

Beautiful shots, dear. Thank you.

Mon Aug 13, 11:06:00 PM  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

Sounds familiar. We would get along great if you ever make it this way even for a weekend. LOL.. I hate sleeping in the car.

Tue Aug 14, 11:49:00 AM  
Blogger Bone Machine said...

Now I will have Red Skies by The Fixx running through my noggin.

Tue Aug 14, 04:38:00 PM  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

I love love love the fire pictures. Now if you could've gotten Ich to dress up like Satan and pose in front of the fire...

Tue Aug 14, 05:53:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Eclectic, yes, I know. That's what was going through my mind as I took the photos.

Laurie, thanks!

Tweety, I guess it's better than sleeping on the street.
:-)

Tue Aug 14, 07:36:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Bone, is that good or bad???

Bucky, if we'd had the suit I'm sure he would've done it. hee hee

Tue Aug 14, 07:37:00 PM  
Blogger Nina said...

Beautiful like always dear Squirl.

Tue Aug 14, 08:27:00 PM  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

True very true. J wants a van for chess tournaments. We are going to Escanaba this weekend and he is going to go play chess while us girls check out the county fair if my foot feels up to the walk.

Wed Aug 15, 11:49:00 AM  
Blogger Kranki said...

Those colours are just incredible. Can't wait to see the rest.

Wed Aug 15, 01:13:00 PM  
Blogger here today, gone tomorrow said...

Squirl, I've been looking at these on Flickr. Absolutely beautiful! I'm so grateful that you posted them because I very much want to go to Alaska and I was very, very eager to see your gorgeous shots.

Thu Aug 16, 05:55:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Nina, thanks, especially after I saw the beautiful pictures at your site. Hope you're enjoying your trip.

Tweety, have fun!

Kranki, thanks. I have to find the time. Ichabod just got home at 4:45 this morning and I needed to spend some time with him tonight.

htgt, thanks! I hope you do go. It's wonderful. After I do all of the separate posts on this trip I'm going to try to get Ichabod to do one on the rest of his trip. It really sounds fun.

Thu Aug 16, 08:47:00 PM  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Did you guys know that those fire pictures look even cooler after a couple of beers?

True fact.

(Hi, Squirl! Seeya Sunday for GH?)

Fri Aug 17, 11:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home