Squirl's Nest

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Get your kicks on Route 66

Well, I had planned to post sooner, but I had some problems getting internet.

Driving - Day One

We took off early Saturday afternoon. Headed down to Illinois, by way of the corner of Indiana. We saw lots of vultures, crows, pigeons, lots of those kinds of birds. And there were plenty of cows, horses, and even some sheep along the way that day.

Most of the trip we drove on major highways, but they followed historic Route 66. Kind of cool to go the same way as so very many before us, on their way across the west half of the country.

Of course, I kept my camera in the front seat. I got some shots at a rest stop in Illinois.

DSCN1647 This is a honey locust tree. The kind in people's yards doesn't have these big thorns. They were originally to keep the mammoths, who ate the pods below, from rubbing off all the bark.

DSCN1652 Here are the pods.

DSCN1657 I liked this sign.

DSCN1658 And this was down in front of it. It's easier to see if you click on it and choose All Sizes.

DSCN1650 Here are some trilliums that were just getting ready to bloom.

DSCN1659 And here was my sad, lame attempt to capture a sunset while we were driving. You'll have to take my word for it that it was really beautiful.

We stopped just before Springfield MO the first night.

Driving - Day Two

On Sunday we started out a bit earlier. I had been seeing redbud trees in bloom for quite some time. They're not ready back in Michigan yet, so I was really excited to see them. We stopped that morning so I could get a picture of one.

DSCN1661 Redbud tree.

And across the street from it was Joe's Diner.
DSCN1662

Along the way we saw a lot of the same wildlife and domesticated farm-type critters. But we also saw a couple of white egrets along the way.

At rest stops I had started grabbing my camera as I got out of the car. Of course, I had to hit the bathroom before anything else, so my camera was with me. Inside the stall I saw this. I had to get this for sister, if for no other reason. It's a line from Rent.
DSCN1663

DSCN1664 I forgot to look out for snakes, though.

DSCN1665 This is what the sky looked like from there.

We ended up just east of Albequerque, NM that night. That's where I was pretty irritated that the internet wouldn't work. That's why this post is so late getting up. :)

Driving - Day Three

We headed toward Flagstaff on Monday. We saw a lot of this type of thing along the way.

DSCN1672

Then I saw this. I thought it was just clouds. But Ichabod told me that what I was seeing just left of this truck was a mountain.
DSCN1673

Eventually I saw it much more clearly.
DSCN1689

Then we had lunch in Flagstaff and headed toward Sedona.

Tomorrow I will have a surprise post for everyone!

15 comments

Blogger Effie said...

THey had a "Watch for snakes" sign--so cool!

Tue Apr 11, 04:06:00 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

How can you not watch for snakes? Yikes!

Tue Apr 11, 04:08:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Effie, yeah, I kinda thought it was cool, too. Especially since I didn't really see any.

Mr B, I forgot about it when I started walking around.

Tue Apr 11, 04:30:00 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

oh, wow! very nice pics, squirl :)

cant wait for the surprise post.

Tue Apr 11, 08:49:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Dawn, thanks! And I can't wait to show you the surprise.

Tue Apr 11, 10:08:00 PM  
Blogger August95 said...

Sweet, it looks like you are having such a nice trip.

How great we can come along.

Yes don't forget to watch for snakes lol.

Wed Apr 12, 12:41:00 AM  
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

Please get some Snake Post-Its. Wouldn't want you to get bit.

Wed Apr 12, 06:42:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wouldn't it be funny if you just starting moo-ing in the bathroom after you read that? Heh.

Loverly pictures, Miss Squirl-Bob.

Wed Apr 12, 09:41:00 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Chia, that's exactly what we saw as we drove through. So gorgeous!

Thanks!

Wed Apr 12, 09:42:00 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

August, I'm glad you enjoyed coming along. I kinda like to write story-type posts with photos when I can. And I'm always forgetting to be watching for snakes. Although we have heard and seen coyotes since we've been here.

Mr B, you're right. I need one on my forehead. I'm always forgetting those durn snakes.

Jim, you know, Bucky probably wouldn't've been able to keep from mooing. She's the Rent fan around here.
Thanks!

Wed Apr 12, 09:52:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm so glad you posted!

That spikey honey locust tree was something else! It looked like it belonged in Arizona already. Funny that sort of thing grows up in the Midwest.

I thought the blue star on the sign was pretty too.

The redbud tree makes me yearn for spring. It can't get here soon enough for me. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the area around here has to offer in the way of blooming trees and daffodils/tulips.

That blue sky in the "we saw a lot of this kind of stuff" part was sooooo pretty.

And the mountain really did look like a wisp of a cloud from far away. That is cool that you got a picture of it when it was little and then one of it big.

thanks for sharing!

Wed Apr 12, 11:08:00 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Danielle, seeing spring-like things was a really good part about heading south. Of course, now, it's a bit more desert-like. I saw the back of a coyote run right next to the house this morning. Really exciting!

And you know how I love to share the story, just like you. :D

Wed Apr 12, 11:40:00 AM  
Blogger Nina said...

I love the pictures . . . Even though that route into Flagstaff is one I take often. It still always amazes me how that mountain seems to just appear.
I now see the redbud trees you are talking about. They are beautiful ... keep that camera in the front seat. For the journey back. Gallup still always grabs my attention.
I think I saw the birds you were talking about yesterday. I think they are Desert Quail . . .

Wed Apr 12, 02:05:00 PM  
Blogger The Q said...

BEAUTIFUL pictures Squirl! Sounds like you guys are having a good time so far. YEA!!!

Wed Apr 12, 02:27:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Nina, yes those are a desert Quail. The book calls the Gambels Quails, but they live in the desert. I love it when ohter people take pictures of things with which I'm familiar. They seem familiar and different all at the same time.

Soozie, thank you! Yes, we're having a great time. :D

Wed Apr 12, 04:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home