Squirl's Nest

Monday, May 28, 2007

Vacation post

Just wanted to post a little birthday greeting here for my wonderful little sister, Bucky. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

I have been procrastinating in putting up this post. Now that I can finally go out and work in my yard, the computer doesn't hold the same appeal.

But, enough of my excuses. A couple of weeks ago we decided to head to over to Boston. I haven't seen my aunt and uncle since my mother's funeral in October. We didn't exactly get much time to visit then, as you can imagine.

So, we headed out on Saturday morning, going straight across from the lakeshore in West Michigan to Canada. We usually take this way across as it saves a lot of miles. It used to save time, too.

The skies were cloudy, but pretty on the way over.
DSCN3906

Going into Canada wasn't too time consuming. The guard asked us where we were going. When we told her we were going through Canada to get into New York she asked "How come?" This line cracked me up. Sounded like something a little kid would say. I didn't laugh about it until we were past, though. Not a prudent thing to do when crossing a post-9/11 border.

We made good time through Canada, stopping for lunch in Hamilton. We had hoped to have lunch with Effie, but her schedule didn't permit it.

Getting back into the States wasn't quite as quick, though. There were plenty of lanes open, but it still seemed forever. The two cars ahead of us had New York plates and were waved through. They made us turn off the car and hand over our keys. Passports aren't required yet, but he said having them helped. We had to pop the trunk, he hardly had time to look, but he came back gave us our keys and we were free to go. Thank goodness.

It was after 11:00 when we finally got to our hotel in Framingham. The next day my aunt and uncle came over to pick us up. We went to a lovely place in Framingham called Garden in the Woods.
DSCN3918

It was so beautiful there with all of the spring flowers blooming.

I loved the different trillium.
DSCN3915
DSCN3919
DSCN3914
DSCN3927

Virginia Bluebells.
DSCN3916

Dogwood and Redbud trees in bloom.
DSCN3921

Skunk Cabbage and ferns, I think Fiddlehead Ferns.
DSCN3931

Some kind of pitcher plants.
DSCN3932

These round things were just free floating. The silver spot on here is a turtle. I thought it was a statue until I saw it move.
DSCN3943

I'm not sure exactly what these are, but they must be in the lily family.
DSCN3945

On Monday we spent a lot of time driving around. Driving through Boston is quite a trip. I'm not used to the weird way the city is laid out. And the drivers are crazy, I swear. They'll cut right in with just barely enough room for their cars. Insurance must be sky-high there.

On Tuesday went to the Arnold Arboretum.

I loved these little Dog-toothed Violets.
DSCN3949

Here's my second picture of a redbud tree. Can you tell I like them?
DSCN3950

Here's another redbud in front of a beech.
DSCN3952

A little Wisteria for the Desperate Housewives fans. Or, as Bucky named this picture, Desperate Houseplants.
DSCN3954

I just liked this.
DSCN3956

Another Dogwood tree.
DSCN3960

Some pretty pink Azalea.
DSCN3968

There wasn't a picture of me that I really liked, but I disliked this one the least.
DSCN3961

My aunt and uncle.
DSCN3965

We went to movie that night. We like to check out independent films. The one we decided to see was The TV Set. It had an very open ending, but I still liked it.

On Wednesday morning we left for home. We had decided to stop in Centralia, PA, termed a ghost town on the way. It's a ghost town because of underground coal fires. It was an old town, built around coal mining. A fire, caused from burning garbage, started in the early 60's. The fire burned out the coal seam and started to cause sinkholes. Most of the people there took buyouts and moved. There is still a little downtown, but I guess not too many people still live there.

Here is a shot of smoke coming out from part of the fire.
DSCN3975

This was right next door to the cemetery. I would've loved to see the smoke coming up there. Must've been pretty eerie.
DSCN3976

There were a couple of Greek churches in town. I liked the look of this one. Unfortunately, it was too overcast for the silvery tops to really look like silver in my photo.
DSCN3977

I have an mpeg of the smoke. When I get that ready I'll post it.

Labels: , , , ,

35 comments

Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

A few things:

* Do you guys cross over at Sarnia or Windsor?

* I've stayed in Hamilton before! That was a loooong time ago, though.

* I'm pretty sure those are, indeed, fiddleheads.

* If you have pitcher plants, then where are the catcher plants?

* Desperate Houseplants. Heh heh, I musta been medicated. Yes, let's call it "medicated."

* You look cute in your picture, so there. But you need to lose the moustache. Oh, wait...you're the diminutive one, huh? Still very cute.

* I need to get up there and see them. I've always considered them the "cool" aunt and uncle.

* Kick-ass photo set! Makes me want to put on my Doe-Me-Doe Duds.

Mon May 28, 01:00:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Bucky, Sarnia. Windsor would be too far south. Hee hee, medicated, eh? I thought it was rather clever. Yeah, the mustache is all Ichabod's. :-) They are still the "cool" aunt and uncle.

Thanks! And now I have that song in my head. ;-)

Mon May 28, 01:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely lovely :-*. I'm so jeeeeelous!

Mon May 28, 01:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Psst.... you look so little :-P. Hug that Ich one more time from me - k?

Mon May 28, 01:59:00 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

You all really got around. I always forget how close you are to Canada. Although the one time I visited MI, when I was 8 years old, we went up into Canada. I remember something called the Blue Water Bridge. That probably wasn't its real name.

I loved the wild flower sanctuary. Thanks for sharing :)

Mon May 28, 04:03:00 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

Oh, and yes, you do look cute.

Mon May 28, 04:04:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Kittn, thanks! I will give him a hug from you.

Susie, hi! There might be a Blue Water Bridge. I'd have to Google it. Glad you liked the pics.
And thanks!!! Y'all are turning my head. :-D

Mon May 28, 04:07:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Awesome flower photos, as usual. Last Friday we visited a St. Ignatius, too. It was a catholic mission built in the 18-somethings and was painted by the mission cook. I just thought that was a neat coincidence.

Mon May 28, 06:05:00 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

I forgot about Google! Look:
http://www.bwba.org/frames.html

There is one. I remembered right :)

Mon May 28, 07:13:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Courtney, thanks! I love the St Ignatius coincidence.

Susie, thanks for the link. I thought that bridge sounded familiar.

Mon May 28, 09:34:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You came back with magnificent flower photos. As I would expect!

Mon May 28, 10:35:00 PM  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Yup, Blue Water Bridge betwixt Port Huron (Port Urine) and (the Chronicles of) Sarnia.

Tue May 29, 12:18:00 AM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

Wow, very nice photos, Squirl. It looks like you had a wonderful time on your trip.

Tue May 29, 12:52:00 AM  
Blogger eclectic said...

Framingham?!?! Mr. Eclectic is from Worcester! I've been where you were!!!!

Oh, and I love wisteria, desperate or otherwise. ;)

Tue May 29, 01:56:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! The photos were fantastic. I want to go to the Garden in the Woods now.

xxx

Tue May 29, 07:20:00 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Nick, thanks!!

Bucky, oh, well big duh! on me. I guess I've crossed that bridge plenty of times. Thanks.

Laurie, I did, thanks. And thanks for taking the time to stop by and comment. I know your life is crazy these days.

Eclectic, we drove through Worcester. Small world, eh?

JDR, thanks! Now you'll have to go to Framingham, MA. Just call my aunt and uncle, I'm sure they'll be glad to show you around.

Tue May 29, 08:10:00 AM  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

Awsome trip I see you had there. Glad to hear you had fun. I love all your photos when you post them. I have a hard time having a favorite here.

Tue May 29, 08:15:00 AM  
Blogger Danielle said...

It is so good to see all of your photos this way with some of your comments about them. I'd looked at them on Flickr in a slideshow, but was waiting for the post to clarify some things about them.

The trilliums are very interesting. The leaves look a lot like hostas to me, but much more organized looking (in groups of 3). It looks like a pretty complicated bloom for this time of year. Really nice.

I like the wisteria and the dog-toothed violets too. I'm always a fan of those kinds of flowers.

I also like the photo of you and Ich. Your aunt and uncle sound like really special people.

Yes, the insurance in Boston is sky high. They have a no fault policy in the state, which I think, makes it worse, since the person who caused the accident doesn't really get held accountable any differently than the one who was the 'victim', so to speak.

Interesting that you go through Canada. I take it that it wasn't all that much quicker this time with your stops at the border?

Tue May 29, 09:45:00 AM  
Blogger LadyBug said...

Hello! Hi! It's me! I finally went through the pain-in-the-keester process of changing my Blogger account to the new Google account (or whatever), so maybe Blogger will let me comment on your blog again.

Great photos, as always. Thanks for sharing them with us. You look lovely in your pic. And your aunt looks like Bucky! (Or...well, I guess Bucky more likely looks like your aunt, huh? ANYway...)

Love and hugs to you, Squirl.

(Crossing my fingers that this comment goes through!)

Tue May 29, 11:25:00 AM  
Blogger Diane R said...

Hi Squirl,

Great photos. Wow, another person visiting Centralia. My ancestors lived near there and I've done some photos there as well. A very sad story. And I love the Harry Potter books and squirrels - we named our cat Squirrel. Anyway, take care and enjoy the latest HP book and film.

Diane
San Francisco

Tue May 29, 03:57:00 PM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

Great pictures, including the one of you and Ichabod!
We have several of the onion-domed churches up here too. Only ours are Russian, and way out in the sticks, where you wouldn't expect to find a church.

Tue May 29, 08:08:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Thank you so much, Tweety!

Danielle, I'm not very disciplined about describing my photos very well in Flickr. I'm glad I was able to get some pictures for you from your old stompin' grounds.

I think we'd probably go through Canada again. It is a looooot fewer miles. It really does save time, I just hate sitting in line like that.

Yes, I don't post photos of myself very often. Some folks from work complained about our spring trip to Sedona in '06 not having any pictures of me, so I thought I'd post this one. Our aunt and uncle are very special folks, thanks!

Ladybug, I'm glad you can comment again. I've missed you.
Yes, Bucky looks a LOT like my aunt. She and Tardist look like my mom's side of the family. JD and Timmy look like my dad's side. I'm a weird combination of both sides.
Nice to see you here.

Diane, hi! Wow, ancestors in Centralia. I hope they moved long before the fires started. Thanks for stopping by. I love it that you have a cat named Squirrel. That's my kind of cat. I'm very much looking forward the HP movie and book!

tshsmom, thank you. I love those onion-domed churches. So different from the Gothic look. Thanks!

Tue May 29, 08:35:00 PM  
Blogger Nina said...

Thanks for taking us with you. Great pictures and I love the picture of the two of you!

Wed May 30, 01:19:00 AM  
Blogger Platypus said...

AS always your pictures just blew me away. I'm glad you had a good trip and I think you look great in that photo. I vote for more pics of you as well as the beautiful scenery! :)

Wed May 30, 03:34:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Nina, you're welcome and thanks! You're one of the bloggers who knows what we look like in person!

Platy, thank you, glad you enjoyed the pictures. I never like pictures of myself, so it's hard to want to post them. :-)

Wed May 30, 05:37:00 PM  
Blogger here today, gone tomorrow said...

Oh, that was so fun, Squirl! It was great to see the family resemblance in your aunt. Outstanding nature pictures, as always. And you and Ichabod...wow. You are so tiny! *whispers* (Ichabod has a Zappa-ish mustache...very cool.)

Thu May 31, 06:27:00 AM  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

Happy B-day to Bucky. I love them all like usual like I said before. I have take a few sunset pix. Not recently though. I wish I would have had my camera last night when we went to Wal Mart. Boy was it beautiful. I mean the sunset not Wal Mart.LOL...

Thu May 31, 08:24:00 AM  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Wait, you have a wonderful little sister? And her name is Bucky too?

What are the odds?

(And thanks!)

Thu May 31, 09:42:00 AM  
Blogger Kranki said...

Sounds like a great trip. I loved all the photos but especially the one of you and the hubs as well as the first landscape shot. The clouds are coolio.

Thu May 31, 03:14:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

htgt, thanks! As far as being tiny, part of that is strategic posing! ;-)

The mustache is definitely Zappa inspired, big fans here. He keeps talking about changing it, but so far I've kept him from doing that.

Tweety, I hate when there's a great shot and my camera's no where around. Hee hee, yeah Wal-Mart's never great.

Bucky, let me be nice to you at least once a year, eh?
;-D

Kranki, thanks! That cloud picture is heading east on I96 just into Grand Rapids.

Thu May 31, 06:47:00 PM  
Blogger Great White Bear, said...

wow.. great pics! sounds like a great trip! btw,have younoticed the striking resemblance between you and your aunt?

Thu May 31, 11:37:00 PM  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

Bucky I have to say I do have a half sister and her name isnt bucky. I was wishing you a happy b-day. LOL.... Hope it was a good one.

Fri Jun 01, 07:56:00 AM  
Blogger lawbrat said...

I just love your pictures. Always beautiful.

Sun Jun 03, 02:38:00 AM  
Blogger Ern said...

Great pictures! I have to confess to pulling up a map to see the mile-savings of crossing through Canada. I had a general idea, but my eastern geography is shaky. Also, I've wanted to see Centralia ever since I first read about it. What a fascinating town history!

Sun Jun 03, 01:14:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Hey, GWB, long time, no see. Yes, Bucky even looks more like my aunt than I do. Thanks!

Tweets, thanks for wishing Bucky a happy day.

Lawbrat, thanks!

Ern, Thanks! It really is closer to go through Canada because it's straight across. The border crossing just kinda sucks. I'll get that Centralia movie up soon.

Sun Jun 03, 07:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home