Squirl's Nest

Friday, April 08, 2005

Non-Smoking Section?

No internet last night. Sounds like the outage covered a large part of Michigan. I couldn't post, I couldn't comment, I couldn't even see what movies were on TV. It sucked! But, yay, it's working again. It seems that between Blogger and Comcast we have to work pretty hard to get a post out.

I was thinking about telling about the life of living in downtown GR. I used to live in a small touristy kind of town on Lake Michigan. There used to be homeless people years ago in town ( back in the non-Politically Correct days they were hoboes). They were gone by the time I was in town.

That was a lead-up to saying that I'm not used to having homeless people hanging out around my apartment building. We leave our cans and bottles out in the parking lot so they can get the returns and quite often pass out change when we pass them on the street. I feel pretty safe around them when Ichabod's with me.

One morning I was going out to my car in the parking lot out back. I leave at 6:30 in the morning and most of the year it's dark at that time. As I headed to my car a tall, slim figure approached me. I couldn't understand a thing he said.

The noise coming at me sounded like, "Di, du, ip, eh, ih, oh, cigarette?" I felt both scared of him and sorry for him. Ichabod was still in bed but could have heard me if I'd yelled. But he's thirty-three steps upstairs. The man was having such a horrible time trying to talk. It was painful listening to him try to get that out. I decided all he wanted was a cigarette.

I said to him, "I don't smoke, I don't have a cigarette. I'm sorry."

He looked at me and said, "Yeah, me too!"

9 comments

Blogger Candy said...

I get totally paranoid in situations like that. I too feel really bad for people and being homeless is a huge fear of mine. But I also have been in some situations with weirdos that were pretty freaky, so I admit that while I do donate money to the local homeless shelter and donate clothes and toys to churches and such that give them away to people in need, I will often walk away from people I dont know who try to speak to me. If I am alone, I just go on my way and do my own thing as quick as I can.

I know that sounds bad, but all the years in bars, and the weird stuff that you see and bad things that happen, I just tense up real quick.

Stuff like that always makes me feel really lucky for the life I have.

Fri Apr 08, 09:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh... the bums. Yes, I too enjoy the urban misfits running the streets of downtown GR. There was another one sleeping by my door on the way in this evening. For the love of, at 12 a.m. that's the last thing I want to talk to. I woke him up. He didn't even open his eyes yet but managed to muster "gotta dollar."

See, I suppose I'm on the uppity side of downtown (ha, ha) because MY bums ask for paper, no coinage allowed.

All I can say is avoid the one with the long straggly hair that looks like the dude that played that one bad dude from Slitherin (whatever, this is your bag baby) off of the Harry Potter flicks. That dude is down right violently ill.

Sat Apr 09, 01:04:00 AM  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

You know, he just wanted that cigarette so he could fit in with the "cool" kids.

Sat Apr 09, 01:20:00 AM  
Blogger Susie said...

Squirl, I stumbled upon some tits this morning, and thought of you: go to http://www.nice-tits.org
It's your kinda place, I think.

Sat Apr 09, 08:30:00 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Susie - I love it!!!!! That is definitely my kind of tit site. Did you check out the shirts in the store? I like the Pendulous Tits shirt. LOL

Jess, I feel the same way you do. I feel sorry for them but I don't really want to approach them after dark by myself. I bet you've seen a lot of pretty weird/bad stuff in your career. I agree with feeling lucky about my life, too.

Kittyf0nk, I know you know the guy I'm talking about. Except I didn't know that when I first ran into him. He hasn't come back, though, it's a non-smoking section after all.

Bucky, with or without cigarettes, nobody will ever be as cool as you are. :-)

Sat Apr 09, 10:05:00 AM  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

You know I totally pay my sister to say shit like that.
Oh, and all the blackmail.

Sat Apr 09, 12:06:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Bucky, think Thin Mints. I'll keep thinking rum cake.

Sat Apr 09, 03:13:00 PM  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Mutual blackmail does rather cancel things out, I think.
Maybe. ;)

Sun Apr 10, 01:00:00 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Yes, well, except for the calories.

Sun Apr 10, 09:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home