Squirl's Nest

Sunday, August 21, 2005

First stop: Lily Dale

I'll warn you right now, this is a long post with many pictures. Proceed at your own risk.

Hi, yes, I'm back. I owe you guys a trip post. You asked for pictures and I took them. We started out around 8:00 am last Saturday and just went straight across Michigan to Canada.

The sky was pretty. I don't know how well this picture will show it.
Michigan Sky

We always go through a town called Hamilton on our way. Here's a shot of it. I have sometimes missed getting off the highway in time and we've driven around quite a while looking for it.
Michigan Sky

It's hard to spot in this photo but it's a picture of the ubiquitous Tim Horton's. I finally saw one in the US, but always before I've only seen these in Canada.
Tim Horton's

Thought I'd get this shot of heading back into the States. I liked that this guy was living in Pennsylvania but either was from Canada or just loved Canada.
Bridge to New York

Then we headed down South of Buffalo to a lovely little spot called Cassadaga. It's on Lake Cassadaga and has vacation spot written all over it. But there's really not that much for rentals around there. The economy is depressed and the homes in the area are a little worse for wear.

But in one small part of Cassadaga there's a little community called Lily Dale. It's a community of Spiritualists, mediums. We spent a couple of days there. They are on the lake and next to the woods. Their main two hotels have been around since the 1800s. In keeping with that tradition they have no air conditioning, phones, televisions. or elevators. Or internet!

This was the old dresser in our tiny room at the Leolyn Hotel.
Lily Dale Room1

Here's the bed that was shorter than 6' long. Poor Ichabod. Good thing we were only there for two nights.
Lily Dale Room2

The outside of the hotel was very old-fashioned, too, of course.
Leolyn Hotel2
Leolyn Hotel1

And the view from the back was gorgeous.
Leolyn Hotel3

The Leolyn Hotel is just about 100 feet outside of Lily Dale. Here's a blurry shot leading up to it.
Lily Dale

This is just inside the gate.
Lily Dale2

There were stores where you could buy crystals, books, clothes, all kinds of fun things like that. I didn't get any pictures of them. I also didn't take pictures of people's homes there, either. Felt kinda funny about that for some reason. But I did get some nature shots of Leolyn Woods.
Lily Dale3
Lily Dale4
Lily Dale8
Lily Dale1
This one's kinda blurry but you can see the shelf mushrooms on this tree.
Lily Dale5
This one appears to have pilleated woodpecker holes in it.
Lily Dale7
This one is of Inspiration Stump where they give free "readings" to people who sit in the audience.
Lily Dale6

In the Leolyn Woods there's also a pet cemetery.
Pet Cemetery1
Pet Cemetery2
Pet Cemetery3
Pet Cemetery4
Pet Cemetery5
And last, but not least:
Pet Cemetery6

They have a dock on the lake.
Lily Dale9
Here's the only picture I got of Ichabod during the entire trip.
Lily Dale10

I don't know what this is but wanted to get a picture of it anyway.
Lily Dale11

And, of course, I had to get some flowers. Here's some yellow hawkweed.
Lily Dale13
This is called nut grass.
Lily Dale14

There are plenty of cats wandering freely there, too. This is the only one I got a picture of. It had just cleaned itself when Ichabod whistled and it headed over to us. See its cowlick? (catlick?)
Lily Dale12

We also took a car drive and saw this really cool creek. We couldn't get down there but I got some pictures from the bridge.
Lily Dale14
Lily Dale15
Lily Dale16

Our first night there we decided we wanted to take a walk and get a drink. We had to go more than a mile to get to the little redneck bar in Cassadaga. We met this guy, probably in his mid-50s, who was quite a character. He'd been in Viet Nam, in prison, and drug rehab. We had a really fun evening talking with him. I have since referred to him as the "other" local color.

31 comments

Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Lily Dale looks like a really cool spot, but I can sympathize with Ichabod not havin' foot room in the bed. Nothin' is built for tall people, hmmmmph.

Sun Aug 21, 08:38:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

I swear, maybe not the mattress, but the bed seemed to be as old as the hotel. I think I heard that Susan B Anthony, among others, once stayed there.

Sun Aug 21, 08:43:00 PM  
Blogger eclectic said...

Yep -- I second Kitty's remark about Ich's nice ass! And I love creeks and streams -- those pictures are beautiful! Sounds like a nice getaway, but....I'm sure glad you're back!!!

Sun Aug 21, 10:30:00 PM  
Blogger eclectic said...

P.S. Bucky, I thought everyone was the same size in bed....hmmmm.

Sun Aug 21, 10:31:00 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

Nice pix, the town looks great. I'll have to go back and see Ich's ass again; I defer judgement until I get another look.

Sun Aug 21, 10:36:00 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

Oh, my. OK, yes, I am ready to vote now. Thumbs up for Ich's ass. heeheeee You know what I mean. His ears are nice, too. They're just . . . right there on the sides of his head like that . . . ohcheezwhiz, I am sleep deprived. I'm glad you're home, squirly girly.

Sun Aug 21, 11:29:00 PM  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Really, not in bad shape at all for someone who was so recently naked bobsledding down your stairs...

Mon Aug 22, 06:21:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*going back to look at the pic of Ichabod while remembering that Squirl once said he rides a lot, I mean, uh, bikes a lot*

shweet.

;-)

Seriously though, it looks like a beautiful area and lovely beginning to your trip. All of it makes me yearn to go for a hike in a nicely wooded, watery, shady place.

Mon Aug 22, 07:53:00 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Kitty, it is a really nice trip over. It didn't take too long to get through the borders. Just depends how many questions they ask you and the people in front of you. Yes, I agree with you and everyone that Ichabod has a very nice ass. Always has since I've known him.

Eclectic, it is a beautiful area. I mean Cassadaga. Great for a relaxing vacation. Thanks!

DP, thanks. Ich and I wondered if Steven King had seen that, too.

Susie, teehee. Thanks, and I like his ears, too. I've always marveled at how they stay so close to his head. I really am glad to be back.

Bucky, I'm ignoring that remark.

Danielle, yes Ichabod does like to ride, uh, bike. All of that must help keep his ass in shape. You know, Cassadaga was a bit of a haul from your Boston home but not too bad. Of course, your new place will have plenty of beautiful places to relax and vacation.

Mon Aug 22, 08:51:00 AM  
Blogger LadyBug said...

Welcome back, Squirl! I missed you!

Lovely pics. Thanks for sharing them.

Oh, and "Inspiration Stump" made me giggle.

Mon Aug 22, 10:12:00 AM  
Blogger Effie said...

OHMYGOSH! You went through Hamilton??? And you didn't come to see me? That's where we moved to! If you were at a Timmies (the nickname for the billions of Tim Hortons' here) maybe we were in line together and didn't know it!
Anyways--Lily Dale sounds like it was lovely!

Welcome back!

Mon Aug 22, 10:29:00 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Ladybug, now that you mention it, it makes me giggle, too. Thanks!

Effie! No way, you live in Hamilton??? Man, we could've stopped and said hi. That's the way we always go through Canada. I get confused because the main drag has soooo many names. We actually found it the first time this time. Of course, we were just through there last March. Hope things are going well with your new home. Lily Dale is really nice. And thanks!

Mon Aug 22, 10:38:00 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

Isn't it wonderful, all the anonymous fans and all???

I'd love to see Lily Dale, it looks pretty interesting. I'd have probably just stayed there and not continued on to NYC.

Just my opinion of course!

Mon Aug 22, 01:58:00 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

I don't wanna be buried
in a pet cemetary
I don't wanna live my life again

Mon Aug 22, 02:59:00 PM  
Blogger Kranki said...

What a beautiful trip. It looks like it was filled with pastoral scenes and NYC delights. What a great mix.

Mon Aug 22, 03:55:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Sierrabella, I just love deleting anonymous fans too. :-)

Lily Dale was a lot of fun. I could spend a whole week there if I got a nice cabin or something. The hotel was lovely, but a little cramped. Of course, NYC was fun too. I'll get to that post one of these days.

Mr B, I didn't see Stephen King around anywhere so you may be safe.

Kranki, yes it was a great trip. Next post will have the NYC pictures in it. It felt like I took a million pictures, but now that I look over them and am trying to figure how to tell the story, it just doesn't that there're nearly enough.

Mon Aug 22, 06:26:00 PM  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

We want the NYC stories! Cough it up!

Mon Aug 22, 07:47:00 PM  
Blogger August95 said...

Thank you for the pictures. It looks like you had a great time.

Welcome home, it's good to have you back.

Tue Aug 23, 01:22:00 AM  
Blogger Nina said...

Welcome back Squirl, I love the pictures . . . I am thinking I would like Lily Dale as well. . . and Ichabod's ass well I will just have to agree with everyone here. I also like the flowers looking forward to the rest of your pictures.

Tue Aug 23, 12:52:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Bucky and Kitty, as soon as I get caught up you will get the NYC story and pictures. Until then, are you two looking for a time-out again?

August95, thank you. It's good to be back.

Nanina, Lily Dale is a spiritual place. A very restful, contemplative place. Good to charge yourself up before hitting someplace like New York City. :-) Pictures and story coming up soon.

Tue Aug 23, 02:15:00 PM  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Anonymous says you have a visitor on the way.

Just so you know, it's not polite to talk about your period on your blog.

Must I always be the arbiter of taste around here?

Tue Aug 23, 05:07:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Hey, Warped Bryce, thanks. I guess to each his own. :-)

Bucky, you are so right. It's a little scary that you are the arbiter of good taste, hmm. I thought anonymous was so rude that I kicked his anonymous ass right off.

Tue Aug 23, 08:15:00 PM  
Blogger Candy said...

Squirl, welcome home. Maybe now that your back you can do something about those rowdy kids who forced me to write such wicked things about such a nice girl like you.

I know you would never allow RUsh Limbaugh in your house. Pffft. Im smarter then that.

Wed Aug 24, 03:14:00 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Jess, I know you would never willingly use your creative skills for evil. The naughty Kitty made you do it.

Kitty, hot irons, hm? Well, maybe in that case.

Wed Aug 24, 10:48:00 AM  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Stop it with the Rush Limbaugh ball-gag talk before I get all e'cited here.

Wed Aug 24, 11:11:00 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Bucky, so sorry. I know that kind of talk is just too much for you.

DP, oh?

Wed Aug 24, 12:21:00 PM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

I had a boyfriend from Hamilton once upon a time. I wonder if he's fat and bald now?

Wed Aug 24, 04:44:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

tshs mom, well that depends on whether you broke up with him or he broke up with you. If you broke with you then he's definitely bald and fat!

Wed Aug 24, 07:02:00 PM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

Thanks squirl! lol
Actually, it was a summer romance when I was 17. We lived too far from each other and just drifted apart. But OMG, he was soooo cute!!

Wed Aug 24, 08:17:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

tshs mom, well he might have been cute then, but I bet he's bald and fat now. ;-)

Wed Aug 24, 08:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What do ya mean "oh"? Like, "Oh?, I never commented on your blog before DP so why should I now?" nice. thanks.

Thu Aug 25, 03:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home