Squirl's Nest

Thursday, August 25, 2005

New York City Part I

Well we stayed in Lily Dale until about 6:00 pm on Tuesday. Then we decided we'd head over most of the way to NYC. I figured we'd just find a nice hotel and settle in for night, no problem. We saw some, but ended up going past the exit. The next hotel that was mentioned was closed. We drove and drove and drove. We were in the mountains and everything advertised was either a campground or a resort. We didn't even know how far off the highway they'd be. I was beginning to think we'd have to drive all night. But then we came to a town called Liberty. Praise the heavens, there was a Days Inn. And it was only about 11:00 pm. That seems late to me for my usual schedule but was a far cry from "driving all night".

The next morning, after our complementary continental breakfast, we headed on for New York City. We jumped onto 9 and followed that through the city. We went through places like Harlem. It would' ve been faster to take the highway, but not as colorful.

We made just a couple of wrong turns going down that way. One of them got me within shooting distance of a Mimosa tree. The picture's a bit blurry, but they have the most beautiful pink flowers.
New York1
You knew I couldn't resist a picture with a flower. You might want to click on it to get a bit more of a look at the flower.

Then we headed to the Theater District. It's where all the Broadway and Off-Broadway shows are. We stayed at the Hotel Edison on 47th just off Times Square. We stayed there the last time we were in town and knew there was a parking place a half block up where we could dump the car during our stay.

The Hotel Edison was built in 1931 which was during the Art Deco era. Anyone who knows me knows that I looooove Art Deco. Here are some shots of the hotel.

This was the entrance.
New York6

This is the lobby.
New York5

A side shot of the lobby.
New York27

This is the lamp over the entrance.
New York7

Here are some shots of the room. This bed was over 6' long. Ichabod finally got a good night's sleep.
New York2
New York3
New York4

The next day we went to the Museum of Modern Art, MOMA. Thanks to Torrie we had free tickets and were able to skip a very, very long line and get straight in. Torrie, I don't care that you hate everything, I blove you!

Here are is a very long batch of pictures from MOMA.

New York9
New York10
New York11
New York12
New York13
New York14
New York15
I've been wanting to buy one of these Noguchi tables for years.
New York16
New York17
New York18
New York19

After 3 1/2 hours at MOMA we went over to Rockefeller Center because they had more Art Deco stuff there.
I'm mad that this one came out blurred. I really wanted that picture of Wisdom.
New York20
New York21
New York22
New York23
New York24
I got yelled at for taking this one, but that Art Deco railing was too cool to miss.
New York25
New York26

We got tickets to see "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf" that night. Kathleen Turner was playing in it. The whole thing is fantastic. It's just one set and four people. The dialogue carries the whole thing.

I'm going to break here. This is going to take forever for people to load with all these pictures. And I have more pictures. Remember, you all asked for pictures. :-)

14 comments

Blogger Squirl said...

After I used the word colorful I wondered if I'd regret it. I just meant that it was way more interesting than the highway. Oh man, no offense, huh, okay?

Thu Aug 25, 07:23:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

I felt safer in most of the places I went in New York than in some places here in Grand Rapids.

Thu Aug 25, 07:49:00 PM  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

I'd like to see an Art Deco gecko on Richard Grieco.

Huh?

How cool you got to see WAOVW, and Kathleen Turner, too! You saw Serial Mom in person!

Can't wait for part deux...

Thu Aug 25, 09:43:00 PM  
Blogger Nina said...

Oh wow, I love your pictures . . . the hotel looks really nice, a place I would like staying. Wow about everything. . .I have never been to New York City. . .I am glad you took the picture anyway even if you got yelled at. Looking forward to Part II

Fri Aug 26, 12:35:00 AM  
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

Was Kathleen romancing the stone at any point in the performance?

Fri Aug 26, 06:49:00 AM  
Blogger Candy said...

Is your butt going to be making an apperance in the second set of photos or are you just teasing us all?

Fri Aug 26, 08:50:00 AM  
Blogger Effie said...

You got to see Kathleen Turner LIVE? I'm SOOOO jealous! It sounds SO wonderful!

I know what you're talking about--trying to find a motel/hotel on your way in to NYC--we kept driving til about 11:30 when we went and I wasn't pleased with the pricy motel we ended up at....

Your pictures are lovely! A mimosa tree and everything!

Fri Aug 26, 09:42:00 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

Cool pics.
I love Art Deco too.
Why did you get yelled at for taking a picture of a railing?

Fri Aug 26, 12:40:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Bucky, I'm always flabbergasted at your poetic turns. Yes, serial mom right in front of me. It was too cool.

Nanina, thanks! I'm glad you've enjoyed these pictures. I hope you like the second set just as well. Maybe you can go to NY some day. I've heard that if you use Priceline or something like that you can get accommodations that aren't as pricey as ours were.

Mr B, no, in this place she was nursing a drink, not romancing a stone. Unless you refer to ice as "the rocks".

Jess, no my butt isn't in any of these pictures. But if you look at the larger versions of these pictures, I'm in one of them. I was wondering if anyone would catch that. I didn't until I looked at it enlarged.

Effie, yes, she was wonderful. I'd definitely go see her live again. And, yes, the hotel was not cheap but I didn't care because I was soooo tired. Thanks, I had to include that mimosa tree even though I wish it had been clearer.

Eclectic, see my response to Jess. ;-)

Sierrabella, thanks! I think I got yelled at because I caught a security guard in it. I'm glad they weren't hardasses about, trying to confiscate my camera or anything. Ichabod just told me that I should turn off my flash and they wouldn't catch me.

Fri Aug 26, 01:43:00 PM  
Blogger LadyBug said...

Great pics, Squirl! And, omigosh, that Mimosa tree is HUGE!

Glad you guys had a good time. I'm looking forward to The Rest of the Story (™ Paul Harvey).

Fri Aug 26, 02:45:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Hi, Ladybug, and thanks! Yes, I was really happy to be able to photograph that mimosa. Now I just have to find time to put out the rest of the story. :-)

Fri Aug 26, 10:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good pics!

So, you didn't say (or did I miss it?) what did you think of the museum? And did you like the play?

Sun Aug 28, 10:24:00 AM  
Blogger Susie said...

Looks like a wonderful time! I heard that Richard Grieco got an Art Decko Gecko tattoo after he saved a lot of money by switching to GEICO.

Sun Aug 28, 02:09:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Danielle, I'm having problems with my gmail account. I didn't see your comment or Susie's. Yes, I liked the museums and shows very much. I'm not a big fan of all modern art. Matisse looks like somebody gave a kid paints and canvasses with very little direction. But you saw pictures of things I really liked.

Susie, we are victims of Bucky one way or another. Or is it of Geico? My favorite Geico commercial, of course, is the one with the squirrels.

Sun Aug 28, 06:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home