Squirl's Nest

Saturday, August 27, 2005

New York Stories Part Deux

The next morning, Thursday, we had decided to go to the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and the Empire State building. We figured the subway was the way to go. There was a station a couple of blocks from our hotel that was heading to the South of Manhattan.

This picture I call waiting for the subway.
New York44

What we didn't know is that, in order to get to the most southerly part of that line you had to be in one of the first five cars. That meant we had to get off at the next to last stop. I've been having some problems with my gut area since late April. By the time we'd walked just a few steps from the subway all I could think was, "I have to get to a bathroom NOW!"

We were moving right along, so to speak, and I felt so lousy that I didn't even realize we were passing Ground Zero. Didn't have to stop and contemplate or anything. Found my bathroom in time, but felt kinda bad about the whole thing.

After that I needed a short rest so we sat on a bench and I shot this picture. Maybe a New Yorker could tell me what the building and clock are.
New York28

Then we took the long walk down to where you got tickets for the boat to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. That didn't take as long as I thought it would considering the long line of people. We got a spot on the boat and I took this photo of Ellis Island while were still on the boat.
New York29

I took a lot of pictures of this lady, but this one was my favorite.
New York30

After seeing the Statue of Liberty we were on the boat heading over to Ellis Island. I got this one from the boat. Is this the Brooklyn Bridge? I'm not sure.
New York31

While on Ellis Island I saw a seagull perched on the flag. I had to snap the picture. Ha-ha, even in New York I managed to get in a picture of a tree in flower and bird.
New York32

This is a crooked shot of Ellis Island as we headed out on the boat.
New York33

Here's one of the Manhattan skyline pictures I took on the ride back. You can see it's really hazy. But we both ended up with some pretty good sunburns that day.
New York34

Then we took the subway back up as close as we could to the Empire State building. I absolutely had to see it again because of its (betcha can't guess) Art Deco interior. Here are some shots of the interior.
New York35
New York36
New York37

The line to get up there was terrible. It took us well over an hour. I finally got out and took some shots from the 86th floor.
New York38
The Chrysler building is another Art Deco building.
New York39
I don't know what this building is either, but I liked its top.
New York40
The one behind and to the left of the Met Life building is the Citicorp building. I just like it.
New York41
Then I'm surprised I didn't get dizzy looking up at the top of the Empire State building when I got this one.
New York42
This was our elevator as we came down. I got a picture of it four years ago when we were here but my finger was in half of the photo.
New York43

Between trying to keep my balance on the boat and standing on the subway I was pretty tired and sore. We ate at a restaurant called Pigalle's and went back to the room for the evening.

On Friday we decided to go to the Metropolitan Art Musuem. The subway didn't go right there, so since it was pouring rain we ran up the steps of the Museum of Natural History. The rain didn't subside so we went into the gift shop and bought umbrellas. Then we walked on one of the roads that cuts through Central Park and made it to the Met.

I had trouble again getting the camera to not take blurry pictures as I had to have the flash turned off. The first pictures are from the Greek/Roman section.
New York45
New York46
New York47
New York48
New York49
New York50
New York51

Here are a couple from the Medieval Europe section.
New York56
New York57

I think this was from the Egyptian section.
New York58

As I said, I was sore from the boat ride the day before so we cut it short at an hour and a half. When we got back closer to Times Square we ate in a place called Ellen's Stardust Diner. The waitstaff must be waiting to go on Broadway. They sand and MC'ed the whole time. Then we went back to the TCKTS booth and got tickets to see Rent. That was a lot of fun.

The next day we headed out and went through New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Ohio. We thought about going all the way home but there were storms so bad we could hardly see. At one point there was flash flooding on the highway. We just got a hotel in a place called Milan. When we left the next day it only took us 3 - 4 hours to get home.

And that is the story of Squirl and Ichabod go to New York.

31 comments

Blogger SierraBella said...

Great pictures.
I love the Chrysler building!
Y'know Bucky will have something to say about that last picture...

Sat Aug 27, 01:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kitty, hi! Come back when you can stay longer.

Sierrabella, isn't it cool? Well, if we know Bucky she'll find something to say about it. :-)

Sat Aug 27, 02:14:00 PM  
Blogger Ern said...

I love, love, love the stretching/yawning sculpture. And the stained glass. And of course the bird on the flag!

-Bush Tit E

Sat Aug 27, 08:48:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Bucky, I didn't see that holster. Where are you hiding it?

Ern, my favorite Bush Tit! I was sooo hoping you'd see the bird on the flag. :-)

Sat Aug 27, 10:31:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good pics! I've not been to the Empire State building, so it was neat to see different parts of the inside of it.

You got to see Rent, eh? I've been wanting to see it, but haven't.

I'm surprised you were able to get shots at the Museum, were you just being extra sneaky? Or was it actually okay to take pics if they were without a flash? It is definitely a nice way to be able to remember things that caught your eye.

Sun Aug 28, 10:36:00 AM  
Blogger greatwhitebear said...

Hey, you're a deco fan too? Have ou been in the Fisher Bldg. or Fox Theatre in Deroit?

The wall in apartment are hung with old art deco travel posters. I really love deco!

Sun Aug 28, 12:29:00 PM  
Blogger Nina said...

Wow, I love all the pictures . ..
The Statue of Liberty picture is fantastic . . . maybe someday I will get there.

Sun Aug 28, 12:59:00 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

Oh, squirl, thank you for sharing. These are wonderful. Totally different kind of vacation from mine, so I really appreciate the vicarious big city experience. I have never seen the Statue of Liberty, I am sad to say. I will remedy that soon. My daughter went there with a friend earlier this summer. I love her. The lady, I mean. Well, my daughter and my friend, too, but I was talking about the statue.

(oh, the holster is IN Bucky's ass. Let's hope you NEVER see it.)

Sun Aug 28, 02:17:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Danielle, thank you. The Empire State building really is cool. It's very much worth the trip up. Rent was very high-energy. So many good singers/dancers in it. I love to watch real talent.

I only took pictures (non-flash) in the permanent collections. I don't believe any museums let you take pictures of traveling exhibits. I'm glad I got the pictures that I did.

GreatWhite, you're an Art Deco fan, too? Isn't it wonderful? I've never been to the Fisher building or the Fox Theatre. I'll have to make a point of visiting those some time.

Nanina, thank you. I wish you could get there yourself someday. In the meantime, please enjoy my pictures. As I took them I was trying to construct the story/blog post. Good practice and loads of fun.

Susie, you're welcome and thank YOU. Ichabod and I had both Lily Dale and NYC this time. So we had a little of both. I'm kind of a city girl, not very good at camping. Getting hotel reservations are my specialty. :-)
I hope you get the chance go to the Statue of Liberty some day. Maybe you and Jif could take a weekend to go there. There are a lot of good shows to catch there as you know, after seeing the Lion King. But it might even be more fun with LG. Anyway, I'm rambling. I'm glad you enjoyed by NYC pictures and post.

Sun Aug 28, 05:44:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Oh, and Susie, I'm with you on the horn holster thing. All the way.

Sun Aug 28, 05:45:00 PM  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

First, I think I might be offended that you guys don't wanna see my anal horn holster. Well, not offended so much as hurt and bewildered. *shoulder-racking sob*

Second, the Fox Theatre is definitely a thing of beauty. My first time there was the night Jim and I got married, I think they had just refurbished the place, and I was gapin' like a rube in the big city. I've found it no less gapeworthy on subsequent trips.

*returns to sobbing*

Sun Aug 28, 08:29:00 PM  
Blogger eclectic said...

It's like a travelogue around here, those pictures are so beautiful! All except for the mental pictures of Bucky's holster(s).... I have a skyline photo of our trip to NYC, and the WTC buildings are prominent. I don't know if I could stand going back to see them missing.

Mon Aug 29, 02:33:00 AM  
Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

AWESOME PICS!! I haven't seen NYC; it's like I'm taking a virtual tour.

Mon Aug 29, 05:28:00 AM  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

We all live vicariously through the Squirl's travelogue posts. But how many of you got to see the snapshots she took of herself BASE jumping from Lady Liberty?

She's a Flying Squirl.

Mon Aug 29, 08:00:00 AM  
Blogger Effie said...

When my hubby and I went to NYC last year, we went on the ferry to Ellis Island and to the Statue of Liberty--very cool! We were wondering what that building was too--someone told me it was the Colgate building? I don't know....

We weren't brave enough to go on the subway--we would have been brave enough had we been able to find a parking spot. We drove around and around and around NYC trying to find a parking place so we could go to the Empire State Building and to Central Park but we ended up getting pushed to Queens and elsewhere numerous times by pushy cabs that were everywhere. I thought the shows on tv played up the traffic and the amount of taxis that were in New York, but in actuality there are MORE!

And, don't cry Bucky--we may not want to see a horn holster sticking out of your ass, but we still blove you! ;)

Mon Aug 29, 09:30:00 AM  
Blogger LadyBug said...

What a fun (and exhausting) trip, Squirl. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Mon Aug 29, 09:54:00 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Bucky, there, there, it's okay. I'll get Jim to check out your holster. And thanks for the extra plug for the Theatre. I really need to see it. And I'm also ignoring your next comment. Flying Squirrel, indeed. I should be so lucky.

Eclectic, thanks, I was actually trying for something like a travelogue. Just that it's from my point of view. :-) We were in NYC in July of 2001 so I have some pictures from the Empire State building with the towers in it. Very nostalgic. I wish I hadn't been sick when we crossed over the site.

SME, thank you very much. I hope you can take a real tour some day.

Effie, we were lucky that we'd found a place to park by the same hotel we stayed in four years ago. Parking is almost as hard as driving in NYC. You weren't kidding. The traffic is worse than they ever show in movies and TV.

Ladybug you're very welcome. It really was my pleasure to be able to share this trip with everyone.

Mon Aug 29, 10:22:00 AM  
Blogger August95 said...

Hi Squirl, I love your pics. Art Deco, wonderful. Thank you for the tour.

Mon Aug 29, 10:33:00 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Hi, August, so glad you enjoyed. Thank you.

Mon Aug 29, 12:48:00 PM  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Wow, glad you got to see so much Art Gecko.

This is a really great site! You just might be interested in a helmet with a chinstrap. Check me out!

Tue Aug 30, 07:40:00 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Kitty, I'm glad it was such a great read. :-)

Bucky, thanks. Oh, and that guy with the helmet and chin strap? Well, what can I say?

Tue Aug 30, 08:37:00 AM  
Blogger eclectic said...

Squirl, please make Bucky stop leaving links like the chinstrap guy. I am irresistably drawn to links, I cannot avoid clicking them. And now I have to go explain to everyone why I have to clean up coffee from the computer. This is so embarrassing.

Tue Aug 30, 10:48:00 AM  
Blogger LadyBug said...

I (heart) BFE Comment Spam.

That is all.

Tue Aug 30, 11:07:00 AM  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Eclectic - you say that is if Squirl has been able to MAKE me do anything since I was, oh, maybe, five years old.

Tue Aug 30, 11:36:00 AM  
Blogger eclectic said...

Bucky, you mean she's not the boss of you?

Tue Aug 30, 11:59:00 AM  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Eclectic - BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!
The only boss of me is gravity.

Tue Aug 30, 01:45:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Eclectic, Bucky's right. I can't make the girl do anything she doesn't want to. Did you see the link she left at Jess's site? Don't open it at work, that's all I'm saying.

Ladybug, and I'm sure BFE and her comment spam heart you, too. :-)

Tue Aug 30, 05:49:00 PM  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

So...where's the new post, you hussy?

Wed Aug 31, 07:44:00 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Bucky, I knew you were gonna do that. You're gonna force me to do a non-post post. Well, we'll see.

Wed Aug 31, 11:42:00 AM  
Blogger Candy said...

I love love love love looooove love love love love love love love love love loooooooooove LOVE the stain glass.

Love.

Wed Aug 31, 10:43:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Jess, hi! I almost missed your comment. I wish they could have come out less blurred. Hard without a flash. Thanks!

Fri Sep 02, 11:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home