Squirl's Nest

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Walk along the river

Yesterday the weather was pretty nice. We've been getting a lot of rain, but it was sunny and the temperature got into the 60s. We decided to check out the river. I wanted to see how much flooding there was.

It's fairly high, but it usually is during the spring. Here are some photos that might show the high water level.

DSCN1980
DSCN1981

This is supposed to be part of the walkway along the river.

DSCN1994

And there were no fish on the fish ladder that day. Probably explains the dearth of fishermen in the river.

DSCN2000
DSCN1999
DSCN2002

I liked this big log that was stuck on the ledge in the rapids.

DSCN2003

Of course, there was some wildlife along the way.

DSCN1995
DSCN2007

I wish I'd had these on Mother's Day.

DSCN1990
DSCN1991

Then there are sights along the way that don't always count as pure nature shots.

DSCN1983 You might have to click on this one and choose All Sizes to see the whale bones hanging in the museum window.

DSCN1985 You can actually read the words in the large version of this one.

DSCN2010 This is the Calder. They use its image all over Grand Rapids.
DSCN2011 I'd never noticed this before.

DSCN2008 And here's Ichabod. He likes to walk along this little wall and jump the spaces in between.

And, if anyone can tell me what this is, I'd really appreciate it!

DSCN2012

18 comments

Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

I'd guess tango-ing gay turtles.

Hey, you asked...

Nice photo essay, sis! Tell Ich to stop climbing things...at our age, it can only hurt later.

Sun May 21, 07:51:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Tango-ing gay turtles. Works as well as anything else, Bucky.

Thanks, I passed your message on to the Ich.

Sun May 21, 08:00:00 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

I'd say the mystery photo is image of a married couple dancing on their nest egg.

Fav photo is the Bod of Ich I must say. When I was a boy Mom would hold my hand outside the public library so I could get up and walk along this stone rail, just like The Bod is doing. Betcha can't guess who does the handholding now. :)

Sun May 21, 08:36:00 PM  
Blogger The Q said...

I agree with the dancing gay turtle thing but I think you have to acknowledge the fact that they're dancing on a hot water bottle.

Why? I have no flipping idea!

You take fantastic pictures..either that or you just go to the most photogenic places ALWAYS :-)

Sun May 21, 08:38:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Mr B, I'll bet little Bloggy Jr is now the one walking on the walls. :)

I like your take on the statue.

SoozieQ, a hot water bottle, that's a good one, too. And thanks! I love taking pictures. It's almost getting to be an obsession. :)

Sun May 21, 08:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That log is STILL there...geez!
someone ought to put a spell on it like
*^vmflreln!^*...it seems to have been there for ever.

Like the last shot best...kinda sums up a good day with your honey.

Mon May 22, 01:31:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. and Mrs. Jabba-the Hut after the weight-loss regimen:

Photo courtesy of Curves...(all rights reserved)

Mon May 22, 12:57:00 PM  
Blogger lawbrat said...

Those are really nice. I always miss GR when I see the pictures you take.

The little ducks are too darn cute!

Mon May 22, 12:59:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Lori, seems like they always allow stuff in the river to do its own thing.

Scrunch, that's a good one. :)

Lawbrat, thanks. Aren't those babies cute?

hellokittn, could very well be.

Mon May 22, 02:23:00 PM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

My guess is dancing balls on a money bag?

Ichabod would love going for a walk with my son; he rarely walks on the sidewalk. ;)

Mon May 22, 03:14:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

tshsmom, that's funny. I like the dancing balls theory.

You know, I'll bet that Ichabod and Z would get along great. Especially when going on walks.

Mon May 22, 03:16:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Whoa, waters are pretty high there, too!. As for the last photo, my guess is: two kids dancing on the ass of a dead elephant.

Mon May 22, 08:33:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Courtney, yeah, not as high as yours, but still pretty high. Now we have a new theory entered on the weird-ass statue. This is really getting interesting. I hope PETA doesn't read this last one, though.

Mon May 22, 08:40:00 PM  
Blogger eclectic said...

Mr. and Mrs. Pillsbury Doughboy just after receiving their first royalty. The weight gain commenced shortly thereafter.

GRRRRREAT pictures, sis!

Mon May 22, 09:34:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I’ve not been down to the Louisville waterfront in a while> I must go soon—and take my camera.

Mon May 22, 11:14:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Eclectic, the doughboys, that's got me chuckling. Thanks!

Nick, oh, please take pictures. I'd love to see them.

Tue May 23, 09:01:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love ducks. They're so cool. And I think Bucky's right - two gay (tango-ing) turtles.

Thu May 25, 09:47:00 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Jim, so nice to see you around again. I like the ducks, too. And turtle tango-ing now has two votes!

Thu May 25, 11:07:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home