Squirl's Nest

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Hiking in Sedona

We went for a few hikes while in Sedona. Here's a bunch of pictures most of them with comments. There are a lot of pictures so I apologize to anyone with dial-up. :)

DSCN1746
This is Cathedral Rock. This is supposed to be one of the vortex sites.

DSCN1747
This is one of the pictures I have of One-seed Junipers. They grow very slowly and I love the gnarly appearance.

DSCN1748
I really like this one in the large size.

DSCN1749
I still forgot to check for snakes most of the time.

DSCN1750
This is an Arizona Cypress.

DSCN1751


DSCN1754
Can you spot the lizard in this picture?

DSCN1755
Water was gushing out of the side of this little hill here. I took this picture just before the next one happened.

DSCN1756
Yup, these are my feet after walking through the red mud from the little gusher above.

DSCN1758
I tell ya, it's hard to keep Ichabod out of trees. Here he's standing in a sycamore.

DSCN1759
This is a gall on one of the sycamores.

DSCN1760
The bright green part in this tree is actually mistletoe. It's a parasitic plant, it puts its roots right into another plant and sucks out the sap. Think about that the next time you try to catch someone under the mistletoe.

DSCN1783
Here's a picture of mistletoe in an Arizona Cypress.

DSCN1762
Here's another lizard.

DSCN1763
DSCN1764
Here are some flowers, probably in the aster family.

DSCN1772
This was from a hike where I actually had to go uphill.

DSCN1773
But the climb was worth it. This is chimney rock, which is closer to where we were staying.

DSCN1774
Not quite sure what this is, but I really liked it. This is one of many pictures that looks much better in the large size.

DSCN1775
I believe the plant in the foreground is beargrass.

DSCN1776
Here's Ichabod, blazing a trail for me.

DSCN1777
DSCN1778

DSCN1779
It's hard to see the layered look of the rock in this small size. Much easier if you click on it and check out the large size.

DSCN1780
Same with the size of this one.

DSCN1781
Looking down on residential West Sedona.

DSCN1786


As always, if you have time to click on them and choose All Sizes, they look better in the large size.

22 comments

Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Oooh, I found the lizard! I had to look at a bigger pic, but I found it!

What do I win? How about some Rice-a-Roni (the San Francisco Treat)?

Thu Apr 20, 09:21:00 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

Well! Of all the gall!

Thu Apr 20, 09:33:00 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

And I'm not trying to be insulting, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lotta blaze in someone's trail.

Thu Apr 20, 09:35:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Yes, Bucky, you get as much Rice-a-Roni (the San Francisco Treat) as Susie got when she won your contest.

Isn't that lizard cute?

Mr B, well, aren't you the observant one??? :)

Thu Apr 20, 09:46:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I want to go West again! Unfortunately, my #2 son is moving back to Louisville from New Mexico.

Thu Apr 20, 11:10:00 PM  
Blogger greatwhitebear said...

WOW! Gorgeous pics. And no, I never did find the lizzard!

Fri Apr 21, 01:51:00 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Chia, you would love hiking in Sedona. Ichabod took what they term a "strenuous" trail on Sunday. I only can do the fairly easy ones. You would enjoy the strenuous ones.

I saw magnolias blooming in Illinois. They're so gorgeous! And I'll be telling you plenty about the trip next week. :)

Nick, tell #2 that he needs to wait until you've had a good visit over there first. Then he can move to Louisville. The west is really pretty.

GWB, so nice to see you here. If you're ever interested, you can click on the picture with the lizard and I put a note on it in Flickr.

Word ver xwaxtv Not sure, just saw wax and tv. Bucky?

Fri Apr 21, 08:55:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love the mistletoe picture - I'd never seen it before until I was in Passau, Germany. I had no idea it was in Arizona!

And Ichy blazed QUITE the trail for you. He stopped just short of paving it. He's pretty handy to have around, I'll bet.

Fri Apr 21, 10:17:00 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Jim, it was Ichabod's idea to add the mistletoe pictures. And, yes, he is very handy to have around. ;)

Fri Apr 21, 10:21:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some of the trees and scrub remind me of Texas. I guess there must be some of the same stuff growing there too. That was the first place I ever saw mistletoe in its natural habitat. I couldn't believe how big the ball of it was!

As for the photos, I really like the creek picture after the second lizard one. You didn't say much about it, but something about the way the sky is reflected in a bit of the water and the rock formations really appealed to me.

Those layered rock formations are gorgeous. The second one reminds me of a bunch of people clustered around looking milling around for no good reason, then BAM! frozen in stone.

I can see why you enjoyed your trip so much. Glad you only saw lizards and not snakes. ick! and skeeery! Poisonous snakes are way worse than little garden snakes, and I don't even like those!

Anyway, thanks for sharing your photos. :-)

Fri Apr 21, 10:57:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ooooo... Seh-dooooooo-naaaaaa.

I shall be drooling over these pictures for days, and switching them around a lot to see which looks better as a computer wallpaper...

Glad you made it home safely!

Fri Apr 21, 11:36:00 AM  
Blogger Effie said...

didn't find the lizard
Love the dirty shoes! Wow--it was like being with you on your walk/hike going through those pics! Wasn't that sweet of Ichabod to blaze the rough trail for you!

Fri Apr 21, 12:34:00 PM  
Blogger eclectic said...

Gorgeous! Looks like a wonderful trip!! And I found the li'l lizard in both pictures. Can I have Ramen Noodles instead?

Fri Apr 21, 07:25:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Danielle, I really appreciate the way you really look at all the pictures. I love your insight. And I'm always happy to share my pictures with you. :)

CK, I'm so glad you like the pictures. Sedona is so easy to shoot. Everything's a photo op. Enjoy!

Effie, I was pretty mad, at first, when I went through all of that slippery, red mud. But then I thought that I might as well post a picture of them. If you want to see the lizards, just check out the photos on Flickr. I put a note box around them. Glad you enjoyed the walk.

Chia, can you believe I was actually smart enough to wear my old shoes when we hiked?

Eclectic, are you sure you have time to make Ramen Noodles? :)

Fri Apr 21, 09:08:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

JDR, sorry, I had way more pictures than that, but those pretty much showed the hikes we went on.

I'm not big on snakes either. But I would usually forget to look for them.

Fri Apr 21, 10:52:00 PM  
Blogger Ern said...

Looks like fun - I LOVE redrock country. I kicked a rattlesnake once in New Mexico. Luckily I was wearing boots. And FYI, it's harder to look for snakes on the trail when you are walking and reading a field guide at the same time.

Sat Apr 22, 01:02:00 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Ern, I'm so glad that you had time to stop by. I especially wanted you to see the Arizona stuff.

I'm chuckling as I can see you hiking and checking out your field guide at the same time. Good thing you were wearing your boots that day. :)

Hope your tests are going well.

Sat Apr 22, 11:41:00 AM  
Blogger Kranki said...

Those are fabulous piccies. I love the colours.

Sat Apr 22, 03:21:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Thanks, Kranki! I love the red rock region.

Sat Apr 22, 09:46:00 PM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

What a beautiful vacation! I hope you come home refreshed and revitalized! Or exhausted and happy to be home with 20 loads of vacation laundry to wash. ;)

Sun Apr 23, 09:00:00 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

tshsmom, thanks! Actually, it was a little of both. Thank goodness there was a washer and dryer at the house so the laundry was not too bad when we got home. :)

Sun Apr 23, 09:22:00 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Chia, I just saw your comment. Okay, that's weird, you commented early this afternoon. Yes, I'm sitting here feeling pissy about having to back to work tomorrow. :)

Sun Apr 23, 08:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home