Squirl's Nest

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Alaska Vacation Part 3

After we had that lovely coffee/tea time with Eclectic, Ichabod and I took a bit of a stroll around the city. We were waiting for Sears to open so we could have something checked on the van.

DSCN4240

DSCN4244

Then we headed north to Canada. The weather was beautiful and we saw some beautiful scenery.

DSCN4247

DSCN4251

DSCN4255

We stayed in William's Lake that night. The next day, Wednesday, we got onto the Alaska Highway. We think we saw a wolf cross the road up ahead of us toward evening. We also were bombarded by dragonflies. It was terrible hitting that many big bugs. They're so neat, too. Some of the carcasses were hanging from the windshield wipers for quite a while. We saw some deer that day, too, along with some osprey. I didn't get pictures, but there were some rainbows. That night we stayed in Ft Nelson, BC. That hotel was sweet enough to have a little hot tub. My muscles really appreciated it.

The next morning, after our complementary breakfast, Ichabod took some bags out to the car. I was waiting for him so I could help him carry the rest of the bags out. He took forever and I started to worry. Just as I was getting ready to go down and check on him he came back in the room. The van had a flat and the spare tire was kind of low. He had to run that to a close by station for air. Then we loaded up the van and went to the nearest tire place.

After a bit of a wait they got the tire plugged and back on for us. When Ichabod took out his wallet the man gave him the paperwork saying that they did the job for us for free! As we were walking out the door I turned around and said, "I love Canada!"

This was Thursday, 8/2, and we planned to make it to White Horse in the Yukon Territory that night. The day was filled with wildlife. Ichabod took this shot of the baby elk for me. He's blurred because he was moving right along. Thanks to tshsmom. I thought this was a moose, but she set me straight. :-)

DSCN4261

We stopped for lunch at a lovely lodge. You could see a storm in one direction while it was sunny in the other direction.
DSCN4268

The lodge had some gorgeous nasturtiums.
DSCN4274

We saw these Stone Sheep.
DSCN4277

The clouds were beautiful.
DSCN4285

Then there were the Wood Bison.
DSCN4282

You can bet we waited for these guys.
DSCN4297

We made it to White Horse around 8 or 9 that night. We went to a couple of stores, then went to look for a room. The whole town was booked. The next town, Haines Jct, was 98 miles away. It was quite dark and I was getting pretty tired. It's a good thing we weren't going too fast because that's when we came across some caribou.
DSCN4303

I was trying to prepare myself to have to sleep in the back of the van along the side of road. Trying to be stoic about it and all. Then, around, midnight, we made it to Haines Jct. I'd been in the car so long that day I could hardly walk straight. There was a sign for a hotel but at that time of night you had to go to the bar to book a room.

The bar wasn't very big. The crowd looked to be a bunch of locals. One of them was really drunk and trying to tell them a story. I don't know if he ever got through it. There was plenty of swearing, though. :-)

Thank goodness there was an open room. It was small but there were two queen sized beds so we did get a good night's sleep. It was luxury compared to the idea of sleeping in the van. The next day, Friday, 8/3, was spent finishing the trip to Anchorage. The Yukon Territory has some gorgeous scenery.

DSCN4306

DSCN4310

DSCN4311

DSCN4313

DSCN4318

DSCN4320

DSCN4321

We made it to Anchorage that night and found a hotel downtown. It wasn't the greatest hotel I've ever stayed in, but being downtown there were plenty of places we could walk. I'll take up Anchorage in the next post.

Here's the link to see all the pictures from this set.

Labels: , ,

22 comments

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow! Part 3 was certainly worth the wait. The photographs are awesome. When I scrolled down and encountered the bison, I just stared. Tatanka are such breathtaking and even mystical creatures!

Then I read on and up came the night encounter with the caribou!

Wow!

What was with the free tire repair? Here in Louisville, I can no longer even obtain air for my tires without paying for it.

Sun Aug 26, 01:18:00 AM  
Blogger Ern said...

Wow, you've gotten some amazing pictures on this trip! I especially liked the lodge with the storm rolling in, and the one of the caribou in the dark. The others were great too, though!

Sun Aug 26, 02:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those pictures are (as always) amazing. I read your post open-mouthed at the sheer beauty of the scenery you drove past. I think I'd have found it hard to keep my eyes on the road - although I'm glad we don't have to contend with bison round here!

Sun Aug 26, 06:49:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Nick, thanks! Yes, Tatanka are really something else. The night encounter was beautiful but a little scary. We would've had a nasty crash if we hadn't seen them.

Ichabod read the paperwork later on the tire repair. That's this company's practice. If they can just plug it, then it's free. I was sure happy.

Ern, thank you! The clouds were so gorgeous. I always love when there are storm clouds and blue sky at the same time. Thanks!

Platypus, thanks! This kind of scenery practically takes the pictures by itself. I'm glad we don't have bison on the roads where we live. White-tailed deer around here are dangerous enough.

Sun Aug 26, 07:03:00 PM  
Blogger here today, gone tomorrow said...

It's more beautiful than I imagined. Keep 'em comin'!

Mon Aug 27, 07:01:00 AM  
Blogger MilkMaid said...

I am so jealous, these are all absolutely gorgeous!!

Mon Aug 27, 08:44:00 AM  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

They are all very beautiful. I loved them all. I say if you go again i am going to sneak to your place and hide in the van and go with you. LOL.. I want to go next time. LOL... Take me Take me!!!! LOL....

Mon Aug 27, 12:26:00 PM  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Man, the colors in these pictures just POP!

Next time, we need to have a girls' trip out west.

Mon Aug 27, 12:42:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

htgt, I have one more post/set of pictures to close out the trip. We'll if it takes me another week.
:-)

Milkmaid, thanks! It was a wonderful trip. But it takes patience, at least for me, to be able to drive the whole way.

Tweety, thanks! We'll see how much room there is left after all of the luggage. :-)

Bucky, thanks! Yes, I'm sure we could all get in trouble, I mean, have a lot of fun heading out west together. ;-)

Mon Aug 27, 06:49:00 PM  
Blogger ladymadaysia said...

Wow, such amazingly beautiful scenery.

I've always wanted to visit Alaska.

Thanks for sharing your pictures. I bet that was an expreience.

Mon Aug 27, 07:19:00 PM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

Beautiful photos! Sounds like you had a grand adventure. Good for you!

Tue Aug 28, 12:16:00 AM  
Blogger Kranki said...

What beautiful scenery. You've inspired me to do a road trip up the coast as well.

Tue Aug 28, 02:10:00 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

I, as you can imagine, love the bison, the ducks, the sheep that look like goats and the nasturtiams. They are particularly lovely.

It looks like a terrific road trip. All except for the part about the town being booked and having to drive 98 more miles. Ugh.

But the hotel with the hot tub sounds terrific!

Looking forward to seeing photos from Anchorage. :-)

Tue Aug 28, 04:56:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

LadyM, thanks and you're welcome! It is a lovely trip. You guys are a partial day closer to driving than we are. Maybe some day, when your kids are older, you can drive there, too.

Laurie, thanks! It was great fun.

Kranki, great! You have such pretty scenery around your province.

Danielle, all those things were just as much fun to see as to photograph. That hot tub was a delight. But I was pretty bummed that night thinking we'd have to sleep in the van. Ichabod thought it would be fine for him, but at least we found that hotel night.

Tue Aug 28, 07:29:00 PM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

Gorgeous!! That's what I've been waiting for!

Are you sure that's a baby moose, and not a baby elk?

Wed Aug 29, 05:07:00 PM  
Blogger Nina said...

Absolutely gorgeous, wonderful photos all of them.

Wed Aug 29, 07:02:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

tshsmom, you knew the mountains were coming. :-)

No, I'm not sure that wasn't an elk. Is that what it looks like to you?

Nina, thank you! Your profile picture isn't showing here.

Thu Aug 30, 07:04:00 PM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

Yeah, it doesn't have the bulbous moose nose and the legs are too straight for a moose.

Thu Aug 30, 07:37:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Thanks, I made the change!

Fri Aug 31, 06:52:00 AM  
Blogger eclectic said...

Yeah -- Girls' Trip Out West!!!! Just stop by here again so I can jump in the wagon. :)

Mon Sep 03, 06:35:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Eclectic, yeah, it's fun out there. But when are you coming over here?

Mon Sep 03, 06:39:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Bone, that sheep was most definitely mooning us.

Thu Sep 06, 09:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home