Squirl's Nest

Monday, September 03, 2007

Alaska, Being There, Part 4

Well, we'd had a bit of rain, but mostly sunshine and heat on the way to Anchorage. But Anchorage was cool, gloomy, and rainy. It didn't rain constantly, but there was a drizzle off and on. Like I said in the previous post, we weren't in the very best hotel even though it was a Days Inn. It wasn't bad, but the clientele was kinda noisy. But the good part about it was that we were right in the downtown area. We could walk to restaurants and the mall. One of the important parts of having the mall nearby was that we got umbrellas right away. This made walking around much more pleasant.

That day, Sat 8/4, we also went to the Anchorage Museum. There was some really interesting foliage outside. They used things like chard and kale for decoration.

DSCN4358
DSCN4359

The museum was pretty interesting. It's so hard to not take a gazillion pictures. Here are some that I did take.

DSCN4327

DSCN4328

DSCN4332

wtf?
DSCN4337

DSCN4338

I'm glad I didn't meet this fellow in the wild!
DSCN4353

Then on Sunday, the 5th, we were going to go on a flightseeing tour, but it was too cloudy and the flight got canceled. So we set up a cruise for Monday and spent Sunday driving around a bit. One of the places we went was the Alaska Botanical Garden. Here are some shots from there.

DSCN4360

DSCN4367

DSCN4369

DSCN4371

DSCN4379

DSCN4382
It was so sad, after seeing these beautiful mushrooms that someone had gone through and destroyed a lot of them. There was a sign at the beginning of the trail that had asked people to please leave them alone. I don't know why someone would do that, but it happened.

DSCN4395

DSCN4399

DSCN4410

I know I posted a lot of pictures here. But there are even more in the slideshow. You may click here if you're not tired of them already. :-)

The next post will be my last installment of the Alaska trip, the one-day cruise. I might be able to talk Ichabod into doing a guest post for the part of the trip he did after I left.

Labels: , ,

22 comments

Blogger eclectic said...

Oh, those are soooo gorgeous!!! I love the colors in those mushrooms!!

Mon Sep 03, 06:32:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Eclectic, you're so fast! I fell in love with those mushrooms. I also haven't been in blogworld much lately. I need to come over and see how you've survived the mothers.

Mon Sep 03, 06:38:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Part 4 was certainly worth waiting for!

How do you do it, Squirl? The colors—their depth and luminosity—so real, almost as if I’m there—inside or outside.

That is a digital camera, isn’t it? I have three and none come up with results like yours!

Wow!

I so look forward to the final installment!

Mon Sep 03, 06:42:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Thanks so much, Nick! Yes, it's an inexpensive digital camera. It also overexposes the pictures. Before I put pictures out on Flickr I open them in the free Microsoft Photo Editor that comes in Windows. It's the way you open the jpegs. I just use the Image Balance which is the little sun icon. Then I slide the scales on the Brightness, Contrast, and Gama. I only use them to try to bring the picture back to the way in looked in real life. It's easy!

Mon Sep 03, 06:58:00 PM  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

Those are beautiful. I love museums. They are so neat to see things from way back when. I loved everything you have posted.

Mon Sep 03, 09:14:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Some of those mushrooms just don't look real, the Grizzly, however, looks like it might rip your face off.

Tue Sep 04, 10:23:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please Ich, do a guest post :-[!!!

I've never seen such colour and beauty in a mushroom. Lovely mate ;-)

Tue Sep 04, 04:01:00 PM  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

At least you didn't stay at the Hooker and Crack motel.

Or...did you?

Love the funky mushrooms!

Tue Sep 04, 06:11:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Tweety, yes, museums are lots of fun. Thanks!

Courtney, I've seen these types of mushrooms on some Canadian blogs, but it was exciting to see them in person. There was an even bigger stuffed bear in Penney's at the mall. Go figure.

Chia, yes we need to get him to do a post. Thanks!

Bucky, well, there might have been hookers and crack, not really sure. Thanks!

Tue Sep 04, 07:22:00 PM  
Blogger ladymadaysia said...

ewwww ick mushrooms...*shivers*

But they sure are pretty.

I don't know why people have to destroy stuff, it is so annoying. Oh well.

Thanks for sharing all the beautiful pictures!

Wed Sep 05, 09:04:00 AM  
Blogger Nina said...

Really cool pictures Squirl. I love those mushrooms.

Wed Sep 05, 12:34:00 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

My favorite is that really rounded mushroom that changes from red to yellow (with all of the white globs on it). Just fantastic.

I liked seeing the museum exhibits too. Most of the time, museums don't let you take photos, so it is really hard to remember all of the neat things you saw.

That one dummy with the purply material is definitely odd. What is up with the fangs? Is that part of a necklace? odd.

I think it is funny that amber doesn't like mushrooms. :-)

Wed Sep 05, 02:27:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

LadyM, I'm sorry you don't care for mushrooms. They are pretty, though, aren't they. thanks! I guess I know it'll be baby time when I don't see you around for a while.
:-)

Nina, hi, thanks! Any baby news your way yet?

Danielle, that mushroom is my favorite, too. I'm glad they let me take pictures there. I would've forgotten most of it. Might've even forgotten that weird purple thing, whatever it is. I think it's funny that Amber doesn't like mushrooms, too. :-)

Wed Sep 05, 07:39:00 PM  
Blogger here today, gone tomorrow said...

Beautiful!

Wed Sep 05, 08:07:00 PM  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

I have to admit my look through here I just realized I missed the mushrooms the first time and they are beautiful. I cant believe some one would ruin them like that. That sucks.

Thu Sep 06, 08:10:00 AM  
Blogger Kranki said...

I totally want to go to Alaska now!

Thu Sep 06, 02:04:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

htgt, thanks!

Tweety, I love them too. I don't know why people would do such a stupid thing. I know they're not serial killers (of people anyway) but still...

Kranki, you should if you ever get the chance. If you decide to drive it wouldn't take you as long as it did me. :-)

Thu Sep 06, 05:51:00 PM  
Blogger Bone Machine said...

I really need to get one of those bears for my office. Better yet, get one and put it in the restroom at the workplace and sign that says "No longer shitting in the woods."

Thu Sep 06, 07:10:00 PM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

We visit every museum we can find when we're traveling. Museums can really give you the feel of the area you're in.

You guys really covered a LOT of ground in a short amount of time!

Thu Sep 06, 08:51:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Bone, then is the pope still Catholic? :-)

tshsmom, museums are really fun. They are so different from one part of the country to another. Yeah, we really did cover a lot of territory. :-)

Thu Sep 06, 09:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful pictures, as always. I thought you must have some wonderfully whizzy camera but knowing that you took those on a cheapie just confirms my belief that you are a very talented photographer! Oh and I loved hearing about your trip. The scenery is breathtaking.

Sat Sep 08, 07:26:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Platypus, you are so sweet to me. I love taking pictures. One of these days I will buy a fancy camera. But then I'll probably still like my little point-and-shoot. I'm glad you liked the trip story and the pictures. Thanks!

Sat Sep 08, 08:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home