Squirl's Nest

Friday, July 11, 2008

Some of the best shows are free

This morning was just gorgeous. I get on the road before the sun is up. That's why I see sunrises at this time of the year. The one this morning had reds, pinks, and golds. To my right, west, I could also see lightning from the storm that was heading in over the lake.

I kept watching the sunrise as I was driving. Before I got to the spot where I could get a picture it started fading. Oh well, I got to see it even though I didn't get to shoot and share it.

Then, a bit further down the road, I looked back to the west and saw a rainbow that went to the ground on both sides. I should have stopped then to take a picture. It was out by farms and I could have gotten a really good shot, but I decided to wait until I got to work. There was even a hint of a double rainbow while I was driving. By the time I got to work the rainbow was starting to fade, too. I guess things of that great beauty are ephemeral. We're lucky when we get that fleeting glance.

Fading or not, though, I took the picture anyway. Have a great Friday and a wonderful weekend.

DSCN5249

Labels:

14 comments

Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

"fleeting glance" - Gag!

Fri Jul 11, 09:37:00 AM  
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

What? I was first, I HAD to be rude.

Fri Jul 11, 09:37:00 AM  
Blogger Bone Machine said...

At first, I was sort of offended by the entire concept of "sunrise", but that photo more than makes up for it.

You've got a gift for the photos.

Fri Jul 11, 10:06:00 AM  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

I do enjoy a gorgeous sunrise...though I prefer them when I've been up all night doing evil things.

Fri Jul 11, 10:11:00 AM  
Blogger chia said...

I need to start hanging out with Bucky. She has the right idea. :-)

Fri Jul 11, 10:18:00 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Mr B, sure you did, sure you did. ;-)

Bone, I accidentally typed Boner first. My bad. Anyway sunrise is easier for me to catch as West Michigan is still in the Eastern time zone. I leave a little before 6 am. And thanks!!!

Bucky, I'm too old for that crap. I'll take a good night's sleep first.

Chia, you two have that in common. Along with a sense of humor that's really sick and very fun. So, yes, that might be a good thing.

Fri Jul 11, 11:05:00 AM

Fri Jul 11, 11:06:00 AM  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

Beautiful. I love the pink in the clouds and seeing that its going down on the one side where you can tell it touched the ground on one side.

Fri Jul 11, 11:43:00 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Thanks, Tweetie!

Mr B, :-b

Fri Jul 11, 09:49:00 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Rainbows are always such an unexpected surprise. I look for them when it is rainy and sunny, but don't often see them.

What a nice way to end your week. :-)

Sat Jul 12, 12:09:00 PM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

Working early does have its advantages, doesn't it?
There are many mornings when the natural beauty around me(northern lights, baby bunnies, deafening birdsong, brilliant moonlight..) just makes my day!

Sun Jul 13, 08:01:00 AM  
Blogger Judypatooote said...

I know so many times I see something when I'm driving and I want so bad to snap a picture of it, but where do you pull over... and by the time you find a place it's gone...... sunrise, sunset... love them both.....nice picture.. judy

Sun Jul 13, 10:13:00 PM  
Blogger eclectic said...

It's like a little reward for having to get up while it's dark, getting to see the sunrise. Glad you enjoyed the show!

Mon Jul 14, 11:05:00 AM  
Blogger Bone Machine said...

Save the "Boner" for when I make snide comments or need a little, uh, lift for the day.

Mon Jul 14, 12:49:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Danielle, as if Friday weren't good enough all by itself I had all that beauty. :-)

tshsmom, you know exactly what I'm talking about. :-)

Judy, hi, nice to see you. I try not to get too upset when I can't take the picture. At least I had the opportunity to see it. Thanks!

E, that's it, you know the early morning routine, too. Thanks!

Bone, gotcha :-D

Mon Jul 14, 02:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home