Squirl's Nest

Sunday, October 05, 2008

The first part of the journey

It seems like forever ago, but it was Saturday, September 13, when we headed out on the road to Boston. We went straight across Michigan through Canada and then on to Beantown. Took us about 14 hours. The first two thirds of the trip we had some pretty heavy rain courtesy of hurricane Ike.

The reason for the Boston part of the trip was to visit with my aunt and uncle who live just outside of the town. My aunt had a nasty infection on her shin with a huge swelling in her ankle so we mostly sat around. They have seven TIVOs and that means a lot of recorded movies and tv shows. That's mostly what we did while we were there.

The last full day, though, we went to their property that was about a half hour's drive away. They have some different things planted and quite a bit that's still wild.

Here's a sample.
DSCN5459

DSCN5469

Check this one out on Flickr in the Large size
DSCN5485

DSCN5493

Then, on the way back we stopped at a cool restaurant called Salem Cross. They had a big bed of dahlias in the front that they used on all of the tables. The place had a basement and two floors. There was also a barn/attic area. I was allowed to take pictures wherever I wanted.

DSCN5528

DSCN5527

DSCN5525

DSCN5501

DSCN5500

DSCN5497

DSCN5512

DSCN5508

DSCN5518

DSCN5522

DSCN5519

The full set of pictures from this part of the trip are here.

They sent us on our with a big bagful of cherry and grape tomatoes that Ichabod helped pick from their property. As soon as I get the rest of the pictures ready I'll post about the rest of the trip.

Labels: , ,

16 comments

Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

*sees flowers, again, reaches for Benedryl, again*

Mon Oct 06, 06:52:00 AM  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Did they *give* you the tomatoes, or did you guys really just fill your pockets and run?

Mon Oct 06, 12:22:00 PM  
Blogger eclectic said...

OH awesome!!! What a great little inn!

Mon Oct 06, 01:33:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Mr B, so sorry. I'll be showing more on the next post, just be forewarned.

Bucky, ewww, you know what happens to tomatoes when you put them in your pocket???

E, thanks! It was cool, right down to the time-period uniforms.

Mon Oct 06, 03:05:00 PM  
Blogger chia said...

*achoo!*

Great shots girly! Sure took you long enough ;-)

Mon Oct 06, 03:29:00 PM  
Blogger ladymadaysia said...

Very beautiful flowers and s hots of them!

What is on the leaves in that one picture with all the fungus growing on the tree stump?

Thanks so much for sharing the pictures with us!

I liked that Jolly Jester sign. I am wondering if it was an old street sign for a bar or something of the like.

What do you think?

I bet you trip must have been exciting!

-Amber

Tue Oct 07, 01:11:00 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

So, were you in Salem, MA? Or was that just the name of the place?

Salem is such a fascinating little town. All of the witch hunt stuff is pretty corny, but there is a nice visitor's center there about the area.

The flowers are just lovely. I've let my flowers die at home. And every now and then I think I should've watered them and kept them going. But I think i was done with them.

However, it is wonderful to still see flowers. :-) Especially dahlias.

Tue Oct 07, 02:13:00 PM  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

Looks like a wonderful place to eat and stay for that matter.. I love those flowers. They are so huge.

Tue Oct 07, 03:05:00 PM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

The eastern US has so much history to enjoy. I'm jealous! But I'm also glad that you're sharing your experience with us. ;)

Tue Oct 07, 03:38:00 PM  
Blogger here today, gone tomorrow said...

Oh my goodness...the blue in that morning glory!!

Tue Oct 07, 09:04:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Squirl, I hope your aunt’s infection is gone by now.

You always find such beautiful flowers and the most interesting things to photograph! The photos are constantly superb! I can gaze at them and, in my mind’s eye, again be able to travel and experience the world.

Thank you, my dear friend.

Wed Oct 08, 07:34:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Thanks, Chia!

Thanks! I don't know what those leaves are. I'm thinking that Jolly Jester might very well have been a pub sign. I'd like to think so. The trip was great!

Danielle, we didn't go to Salem this time. But I have been there and liked the house of seven gables. I had fun photographing the flowers. I haven't done a lot in my own yard since I got back either.

Tweety, the place was cool.

tshsmom, I know, so much history there. So sorry you can't afford to travel right now. I love being able to share my trip with you guys. Glad you're enjoying.

htgt, I'm glad you like that. I think I put three of them into Flickr I loved it so much.

Nick, I sent an e-mail to ask about her leg but they don't always get back with me right away. I'm always hoping to, virtually, be able to take all of you along on the trip with me. Thanks!

Thu Oct 09, 05:30:00 PM  
Blogger Jenski said...

Great pictures! I'll have to check out Salem Cross!

Fri Oct 10, 07:41:00 PM  
Blogger Ern said...

Beautiful pics, especially the flowers. That first one is sooo blue!

Mon Oct 13, 06:44:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Jen, thanks! Let me know if you try that restaurant.

Ern, thanks! I love that blue, too.

Sun Oct 26, 02:30:00 PM  
Blogger Nina said...

Wow, gorgeous photos, beauty in full bloom.

Mon Nov 10, 11:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home