Squirl's Nest

Thursday, January 08, 2009

High spirits!

Ichabod and I both enjoyed going over to Old Town Alexandria, VA. The first time we went we checked out the sites by the river.

DSCN5748

DSCN5750

If you click on this and choose All Sizes you can read about Alexandria.
DSCN5751

While we were there we noticed an ad for Historic Ghost Tours. It sounded like fun so we waited for dark. Then we met up with our tour guide, Rose. She does other tours besides this one and really knows the local history.
DSCN5752

This inn had a story about a mysterious young couple that lodged there. The woman was very ill and died within a few days. Her husband disappeared without paying the bill. I'm sure there were more details but this is what happens when I wait over three months to finish posting about my vacation. :-)
DSCN5755

This is a tavern that George Washington liked.
DSCN5760

This is the Carlyle house. You can read some of its history here. There were plenty of deaths and juicy tidbits here for it to be a main feature of the ghost tour. In this photo, and some of the others, you'll see orbs. Are they dust specks, reflections of light, or some kind of spirit energy? I don't know and I don't care; they're fun to find in pictures.
DSCN5761

DSCN5762

The orbs are easier to see if you click and choose all sizes.
DSCN5764

And what would a ghost tour be without a cemetery?
DSCN5766

DSCN5769

Old John Carlyle himself is buried here.
DSCN5774

DSCN5777

DSCN5779

I would recommend this tour. Whether or not you believe in ghosts there's plenty of history and old gossipy stories to make it worth your while.

Labels: , , , ,

14 comments

Blogger chia said...

I so want to go! I like all the linked side stories. Thanks sis!

Thu Jan 08, 10:44:00 PM  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Haunted tours are a blast - you guys need to check out the haunted tours in New Orleans, too!

Thu Jan 08, 11:55:00 PM  
Blogger Ern said...

There are a couple of ghost tours you can take in L.A., and I've always thought they would be fun.

Fri Jan 09, 12:57:00 AM  
Blogger Kranki said...

It's kinda cool that a couple of your ghost tour photos have those round whitish spots on them. Some say they are angels or spirits.

Fri Jan 09, 02:58:00 AM  
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

O'boro now has a haunted tour, also. Haven't been though, too much walky-walky.

Fri Jan 09, 07:06:00 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Chia, it's fun. I think you'd enjoy it.

Bucky, one of these days we will.

Ern, that sounds like fun, too. You know, I'd almost forgotten about our tour of the Winchester Mystery House. I know, Northern California, but the same coast anyway. :-)

Kranki, yes, I read up on them and there are many theories. It's always fun to find them in pictures.

Mr B, how long is the walk? This wasn't too bad.

Fri Jan 09, 03:05:00 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

I can't remember what the guy said that night, but I was like, sheesh, I don't think so. Might get skeered!

Fri Jan 09, 03:06:00 PM  
Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

I've always secretly wanted to follow a ghost tour at a discreet distance and make weird sounds. Is that evil?

I'll be the Debbie Downer and say that modern cameras, especially compact digital ones, are likelier to pick up reflection off small particles (mostly dust) than older ones, explaining the sudden increase in orb photos over the past few years. It happens most often in low-light conditions, obviously, because that's when you're using the flash.

I only know this 'cause someone I know was convinced she had psychic abilities and/or was living in a haunted house: Every time she took photos in her living room, she was surrounded by orbs. If she dusted more often and used some overhead lighting, I'm guessing the ghosts would go away... ;D

Sat Jan 10, 03:52:00 AM  
Blogger Danielle said...

How fun! I've gone to places that had ghost tours but wondered if I'd be too creeped out. It is good to know that it is more about local history than anything else.

Sounds like Alexandria was a good stop to incorporate into your trip.

:-)

Sat Jan 10, 09:56:00 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Mr B, maybe Bone can go along with you in case you get skeered.

Hi SME, hope you enjoyed your birthday. Yes, that explanation is in one of the links. But using your imagination is way more fun.

Danielle, it really was. I would recommend seeing Alexandria to anyone going to DC. And this ghost tour was fun. So was the tour at the San Jose Winchester Mystery House. Good history stuff.

Sat Jan 10, 05:09:00 PM  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

Your photo's are always awsome to look at. That sounds like fun. I wish i knew what post it was I posted about our tour through the fun house in WI Dells.. that was fun.. But I love your photo's as usual.

Mon Jan 12, 05:25:00 AM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

My daughter would have loved your ghost tour! Like you, the history probably would have enticed me too.

Oops, SME's been here already.
She likes to debunk legends, so it might get a bit embarrassing going on a ghost tour with her. Yup, there's one in every crowd, and it's usually one of MY kids. ;)

Tue Jan 13, 03:42:00 PM  
Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

Yeah, I would be a total bummer on a ghost tour. The theatre where I volunteer is the first stop on our local one, and I'm always tempted to tell the crowds outside, "Look, it's not haunted. It's just old and kinda drafty, with lots of orbs." ;D

Wed Jan 14, 05:32:00 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Thanks, Tweety!

tshsmom, yes, the history part is loads of fun. And the thing about the debunking, well, people want to have fun whether it makes sense or not. And it's a lot more fun without a debunker in the group.

SME, they probably already realize this. But, as I said, it's all for the fun.

Fri Jan 16, 07:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home