Squirl's Nest

Friday, April 15, 2005

Bungle in the Jungle

Back when I used to work at the bar, you know the one where the guy asked for the pickled bologna, I also lived in an inexpensive furnished apartment. It was an old place on the West side of town. Wasn't a rich section but walking around during the day was perfectly safe.

There were a number of colorful neighbors in the four apartments. One of them worked as a waitress in the restaurant our landlord (should I say slumlord?) owned. She also collected the rent for him. She was a nice enough lady, but quite a character. The landlord’s nickname for her was Jungle Jane. She had flaming red hair and dressed “a little young for her age.”

I didn’t always know how to take her. For instance, she knew I grew up Catholic, so she was always saying to me, “You can’t tell me nuns don’t get none.” I lent her an album once and she found one song on there that she liked. She kept playing it over and over again. For those of you old enough to remember vinyl records you know that sound from trying, badly, to pick up the needle and get it back on the song. I never asked for that record back.

We shared a wall with her. Whenever she was mad she would throw glasses against that wall. She got mad a lot. I really don’t think she was all there. She was also the type to open the door a crack and snoop when people would talk in the hallway.

The adventures of Jungle Jane ended, for us anyway, when she finally found a guy who’d marry her. I don’t know what he saw in her. After he’d been dating her for a while he began to have that “deer in the headlights” look. I think he might have been afraid to end it.

Anyway, we never heard anything about her after she left. I still wonder……

10 comments

Blogger Susie said...

My mom has a cousin who was "Jungle Jane." Flaming red hair, LOTS of makeup, and dressing "a bit young for her age," for the last 30 years. Aunt Georgia Faye, although in Hillbillian, it's pronounced one word, "Georgiefay." Here's to colorful crazy ladies! Oh, Squirl, I saw somewhere that you used to live in the south. Just curious, when and where?

Fri Apr 15, 09:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny post, Squirl.

(Sorry, my brain's too tired for witty remarks. Just wanted to let you know you made me smile.)

Fri Apr 15, 11:19:00 PM  
Blogger greatwhitebear said...

Glad you finished the story! I think we all know a jungle jane (mine was my kindergarten teacher)

Sat Apr 16, 12:22:00 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Susie, yes, I think there's a Jungle in everyone's life. I guess this is where I give away how old and ancient I am. My family is originally from Louisville, KY. We lived there until 1967. Bucky was only two, but I was 11 at that time. She only remembers Kentucky from visits to family.

Ladybug, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I know my comments aren't always witty but I like to let people know I'm there reading their stuff.

Great White, glad you liked the story. I hope your kindergarten teacher wasn't too traumatizing.

Sat Apr 16, 07:27:00 AM  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Hahahaha, I always wondered what happened to that crazy bitch. I remember Mom and Dad bringin' me up to visit you at your apt, and Jane peekin' out the door with that "Who the fuck are you?" look on her face, and thinkin' to my little-kid self, "That's gotta be Jungle Jane, she looks just like Squirl described!"

Sat Apr 16, 08:39:00 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Yes, Bucky, that's right. You did see the infamous Jungle Jane. You must've been all of 10 or 11 then. :-)

Sat Apr 16, 09:13:00 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

Our Jungle Jane was the lonely, alcoholic wife of a traveling carpet salesman and lived across the street.
One Halloween she donned a pegnoir and went trick-or-treating door to door with a martini glass in hand!

Sun Apr 17, 01:23:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Tardist, you got away from that one anyway. We won't talk about any others.

Kitty, thanks.

Sierrabelle, your Jungle sounds more pitiful than mine. :-)

Mon Apr 18, 08:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you just gave me a scary glimpse into my future, Trash Can Kitty they will call me, as I roam the neighborhood with my cats swirling around my ankles and that glossy look in my eye, sloshing wine all over my lacey robe, trying to show my boobies to anyone and everyone. Sigh. Ahhh the things to look forward to..

Tue Apr 19, 01:31:00 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Oh, Jess, you're way to cool to be a Jungle Jane. Though you do paint a hilarious picture there. :-)

Tue Apr 19, 12:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home