Squirl's Nest

Sunday, May 29, 2005

Happy Birthday, Bucky!

I remember it like it was yesterday. My father came home from the hospital and announced, “It’s a girl.”

Man, I was so thrilled! I’d wanted a sister for my entire life. A sister! I had three brothers at that point. It was about time there was another girl in the family.

Well, most of you know Bucky. No matter how many dresses my mother put on her she was not going to act girlie. She always seemed to have the drive to want to keep up with the guys.

Bucky usually was the ringleader of her friends, too. When they played some kind of make-believe game she always assigned their parts to them. She was pretty creative and inventive about it.

Girlie toys weren’t for her, either. I had gotten a lovely little plastic vanity when I was younger. Of course, it went to her. It had a flip-up lid with a mirror and open section for makeup, brushes, etc. Well, Bucky, with her “office supplies” obsession turned it into her desk.

She was also precocious. She and I were in a play together when she was about seven. When anybody flubbed or forgot a line, she knew what it was supposed to be. Getting up on stage in front of people never was difficult for her. No big surprise, huh?

There are so many stories that could be told. I suppose I should check with her before I tell them, though. I don’t mean that she’d be embarrassed by them. It’s just that she might want to do the telling herself. I’m not going to incur the wrath of Bucky. Rum cake only goes so far.

Bucky, I’ve gotta tell you that I love you. And I’m still glad, forty years later, that I finally got a sister.

18 comments

Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Awwwwww, thanks, Squirl! I love you too, man.
But I'm hangin' onto 39, right up until midnight! And I don't plan to be sober when the clock strikes the bitching hour, either.

Sun May 29, 09:36:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

39 works. Enjoy your drinks and your birthday!

Sun May 29, 09:55:00 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Happy Birthday Bucky!!!
Bucky sounds spunky and like she could beat me in an arm wrestling match.
Your tribute to her was very loving. I hope her day is grrrreat!

Sun May 29, 11:59:00 PM  
Blogger Spurious Nurse said...

What a good sister. Go Bucky! Go Squirl!

Mon May 30, 12:05:00 AM  
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

All this mush is giving me cavaties and making me wanna call and yell at my own sisters.

Mon May 30, 08:00:00 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Jamie Dawn, Ms Plum, Mr B, Kitty,, thank you. If you get a chance go over to Bucky's site and wish her a happy one there. She's also got a picture posted of Snickers sneakin' a kiss in on daddy. :-)

Mon May 30, 08:25:00 AM  
Blogger Candy said...

I would wish Bucky a happy birthday, but I just cant do it. She is such an assless freak, I just hope she can find it in her heart to get the therapy so deeply needed. really.


Ok im fulla crap. Happy 29th Bucky!

And Squirl she is lucky to have a sister like you!!! Excuse me, I must go rescue you from my cats again.

Mon May 30, 11:09:00 AM  
Blogger Effie said...

Awww...thanks for letting me know it's Bucky's b-day--and the BIG 40 too, eh?! What a nice tribute to your sister! By the way--how many of you are there then, 5 kids? If so, we beat you by 1--I'm the 3rd of 6! 4 girls & 2 boys

Mon May 30, 11:36:00 AM  
Blogger SierraBella said...

What a nice sister you are!
I'm still traumatized about her Betty Crocker dress photo...

Mon May 30, 01:00:00 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

You are such a good sister, Squirl. I live vicariously through folks like you and Bucky. Five brothers here, and NO sisters. I am envious; and happy for you two :)

Mon May 30, 01:56:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Jess, Bucky would love the 29th birthday bit. Thanks for rescuing me from your cats. :-)

Effie, five of us all together. Three boys and two girls. So the boys were outnumbered in your family.

Sierrabella, I know by now you've seen the latest, nude, photo of Ms Bucky. That should drive the Bucky Crocker picture right out of your head.

Susie, you can be our blogland adopted sister. You adopted Greenie, so we can adopt you. I'm sure Bucky would be happy to have you in the family.

Mon May 30, 03:31:00 PM  
Blogger LadyBug said...

Aww, how sweet.

But you'll never convince me that Bucky's not into certain kinds of "girlie toys."

Tue May 31, 01:13:00 PM  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Uh, er, uh, LadyBug, whatever do you mean?

No, no, that's just my electric toothbrush you hear.

Tue May 31, 03:17:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Ladybug, I do not ask and do not want to know if that's really Bucky's new electric toothbrush. :-)

Tue May 31, 03:26:00 PM  
Blogger Nilbo said...

"Girlie toys weren’t for her, either." - Ten bucks says that's changed ... and now she plays with girlie toys. Just different toys, is all.

Tue May 31, 03:53:00 PM  
Blogger Nilbo said...

Damn, I really need to read the comments BEFORE adding my two cents.

Tue May 31, 03:54:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Nilbo, glad to hear from you. But, yes, I'm surprised more people didn't ask about that one. :-)

Tue May 31, 03:57:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

All right, Kitty, I'm coming over to check it out.

Tue May 31, 08:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home