Squirl's Nest

Friday, January 16, 2009

The Capitol and the Sculpture Garden

We wanted to tour the Capitol so we headed out fairly early in the morning. There was already quite a line when we got to the ticket booth. Our tour was about an hour later so we killed a little time walking around. Here's the set.

DSCN5783

I still have a thing for metal grates in the ground.
DSCN5790

I like the rainbow effect in this one.
DSCN5789

Then we ducked back into the Botanical Garden.
DSCN5791

DSCN5795

Then we went on our tour. Here is our guide.
DSCN5800

DSCN5806

DSCN5807

That was about for the Capitol for us. Then we walked over to the Sculpture Garden. We saw this on the way. So many pretty water features in DC.
DSCN5811

We thought this building was cool.
DSCN5818

There were a lot of interesting things in the Sculpture Garden.
DSCN5820

This one cracked me up. There will be a lot of younger folks who won't know what this is.
DSCN5822

DSCN5824

These cubes were all spinning.
DSCN5827

This is by Alexander Caulder. We have one of his sculptures in downtown Grand Rapids.
DSCN5828

I think this is some kind of aluminum, like the one with the spinning cubes. I'm glad the sun was shining when we saw them.
DSCN5830

Not sure if this is supposed to be a political statement. :-)
DSCN5832

Labels: , , ,

14 comments

Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

Gorgeous!
And yeah, I have no clue what the red circle with the the blue fringey stuff is...

Fri Jan 16, 09:17:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, Squirl. When I was an army officer and attached to the Military District Of Washington, I spent as much time as possible exploring D.C. You bring back to me memories from (can it really be that long?) 30 years ago.

Fri Jan 16, 09:56:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Thanks, SME! It's a typewriter eraser. The blue fringey stuff was to wipe away the eraser "crumbs".

Nick, I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures. Thirty years goes by so freaking fast!

Fri Jan 16, 10:06:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes it does: much faster than I would have thought 30 years ago.

Fri Jan 16, 10:14:00 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

I hated those erasers. Or at least the need to use one.

Sat Jan 17, 08:19:00 AM  
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

oh, and great grates!

Sat Jan 17, 08:19:00 AM  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

Very pretty. I have to say that one looks like a yoyo or a very delusional pizza cutter.. LOL.. Otherwise no idea.

Sun Jan 18, 04:12:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Nick, boy, I know what you mean.

Bucky, yes, the rainbowed it right up. It's is downright perty! Do you think the typewriter eraser would help clear snow?

Mr B, typewriters suck. And thanks!

Tweety, I like the idea of a delusional pizza cutter. But it just erased typewriting.

Sun Jan 18, 07:22:00 PM  
Blogger Kranki said...

I love the idea of walking around a lovely garden and coming upon interesting and different styles of sculpture along the way. Very cool.

Mon Jan 19, 05:16:00 PM  
Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

Wow, I didn't even know typewriter erasers existed! I thought you just had to keep using White-Out until you had more White-Out than original paper, and then start from scratch...

Mon Jan 19, 07:04:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Kranki, you'd love it. It was a lot fun of fun.

SME, that's good, I hadn't thought about that. I think they came up with these before white out was invented. :-)

Mon Jan 19, 07:17:00 PM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

I didn't figure SME would recognize that sculpture! She once had to use a typewriter to type a paper when our computer was down. She gave up; it was too hard! ;)

I've saved a fortune on those erasers and white-out since word processors have been around.

Back in high school, I can remember staying up all night to type a paper. My teachers would only allow 2 mistakes/page. I would have given my left arm for a word processor back then!

Sun Jan 25, 09:02:00 AM  
Blogger Danielle said...

You know, I'm pretty sure that we didn't go on the tour of the Capitol, because we didn't plan well ahead for getting the whole ticket thing - I think they were sold out for the day. But what a nice set of things to look at while you were waiting! I really like the aluminum sculptures.

And the typewriter eraser thing reminded me of a camera cleaner brush. When I used a typewriter in 9th grade, we had these plastic slips with a white powder on one side, and you had to back up and type the letter you typed by accident to put powder over the top. Then you could type the letter you wanted.

I once got marked off on a paper by a teacher, because the margins were wrong on a typed paper. Would've been a cinch to fix on a word processed paper.

Sun Jan 25, 09:47:00 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

tshsmom, I hated typewriters, too. Computers/word processors are the best answer. Too bad we didn't have those when we were in high school.

Danielle, I hadn't thought about the camera brush. :-)
Yeah, margins, fixing mistakes, all of those things are easier with word processing software.

Sun Jan 25, 09:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home