Squirl's Nest

Friday, September 15, 2006

Music Meme aka 76 Trombones

I have been pretty long between posts around here. Yeah, I've used the "real life" excuse, but who doesn't have that.

Anyway, I was over at Nils' site and found this meme. I thought it was intriguing, as music has always been a part of my life. So here's my try at it.

The questions are:

What is the first music you remember hearing?

Did you come from a musical family?

Do you remember a lullaby from your childhood? If so, what is it?

What song(s) changed your life?

If you could have dinner with three dead musicians which three would you choose and why?

You are stranded on a deserted island. You are allowed the complete musical works of one band and its members. Which band or musician would you choose?

Does music play in your head? If so, what is playing right now?

Can music truly soothe the savage beast? If so, what music soothes your beast?



The questions are:

What is the first music you remember hearing?
I'm not really sure. It might've been my father's singing to me, could've been my mother playing the piano. She also played the huge pipe organ at church and my father directed the church choir. I have lots of early memories from that.

Did you come from a musical family?
Absolutely! My mother is a very talented pianist. My father's family all sang. All five of the kids in my family learned at least one instrument. My older brother made his living in music. Bucky and Tardist are very talented and play many instruments. Bucky also sings, as many of you already know. I play at a few instruments, but my voice is my best instrument.

Do you remember a lullaby from your childhood? If so, what is it?
It's the chorus to a very non-PC song from the South. I think I used to sing it to Bucky, so maybe I'm partly to blame for her being just a little twisted. ;)

Go to sleep, my little pickaninny,—
Brer’ Fox ’ll catch you if yo’ don’t;
Slumber on de bosom of yo’ ole Mammy Jinny,—
Mammy’s gwine to swat yo’ if you won’t.

Sh! sh! sh!
Lu-la, lu-la lu-la lu-la lu!
Underneaf de silver Southern moon;
Rock-a-by! hush-a-by!
Mammy’s little baby,
Mammy’s little Alabama Coon.

I didn't know there was any more to it until today when I Googled it. If you're not already too offended here's the link to the whole thing:

What song(s) changed your life?
Nils had an excellent answer to this one. Mine is not life-changing in the same way.
You see, just before I was a year and a half old, my brother, Tardist, was born. In the evenings my father would entertain me with singing so I didn't feel the pain of not being the "baby" so much. I started singing with him. There's an old song, "For It Was Mary", by George M. Cohen that I liked to sing. Not only did I sing it, but I went off-key on the last word (I was only two, folks, give me a break) because I wanted to belt it out. To this day I can sing so they can hear me in the back rows.

If you could have dinner with three dead musicians which three would you choose and why?
Nils picked John Lennon and he's one I'd definitely want to talk with. He wrote music that I enjoy and had a sense of humor.
I'd also enjoy sitting and listening to Frank Zappa. That guy was really, really smart and a good musician, Yellow Snow aside.
Maybe, for the third, George M Cohen. I heard my parents sing his songs so much when I was a kid. I'm also a patriot and he wrote many patriotic songs.

You are stranded on a deserted island. You are allowed the complete musical works of one band and its members. Which band or musician would you choose?
I would like to say the Beatles, as did Nils. I do love their music. But Earth, Wind and Fire are so upbeat and funky. I could dance and keep in shape.

Does music play in your head? If so, what is playing right now?
Well, there are a bunch of them competeing right now. But for the last couple of days it's been Twisted. Now there's a song that's a challenge to sing.

Can music truly soothe the savage beast? If so, what music soothes your beast?
As Nils said at his site, the word is bReast, not beast. Please check his site for the entire quote.
That said, yes, music can soothe. I can't pick anything in particular as it depends on my mood. Sometimes I need upbeat, sometimes it's ballads.

Anyway, if you feel like doing this one you may either put it in comments here or put it on your own site. If you choose to put it on your own site please let me know. I'll be over to read it.

29 comments

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing, excellent post.

I may try this one in a while. I don't want people missing my newest. ;)

I think that the "first music you remember hearing" is quite a hard question to answer.

So your mom was an organ player? That is too awesome. I have always wanted to play one of those, but for some reason, I can't quite get it right.

Gotta love that non PC song, too. ;)

Gonna swat ya if you don't fall asleep. That'll make 'em tired!

I feel like I will give away too much of my answers if I keep talking here, but it is very nice to hear your answers.

I get the feeling that a lot of people would put Beatles on their list for the desert island one..

Fri Sep 15, 02:40:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Amber, thanks! This was a fun meme. Can't wait for your answers. In the meantime, I need to find out my password for your latest post!

Fri Sep 15, 02:45:00 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

Ha! I love it that you sang that to Bucky.

Fri Sep 15, 05:06:00 PM  
Blogger eclectic said...

Hadn't ever heard that lullaby before. It's a doozy!

The church organ and choir -- that mirrors my own early memories. This is a fun post, Squirly!

Fri Sep 15, 05:21:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Mr B, yes, I sure did.

Eclectic, something else, isn't that song? Of course, you have the church background, too. :)

Fri Sep 15, 07:08:00 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

Any home videos to be converted over to YouTube by chance?

Fri Sep 15, 08:13:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

No, Mr B, no home videos of it. Sorry.

Fri Sep 15, 08:22:00 PM  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Alright, durn it, I tried to comment on this earlier and Blogger reJECted me.

Bastard. Cold-hearted computer bastard.

Huh huh...you said breast. Huh huh...

I love EWF. If the a capella ending to Shining Star don't getcha, you've got no soul.

I'll have to do this one, too. I kinda likes the music.

(And yes - Squirl DID sing that song to me)

Fri Sep 15, 11:27:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Most interesting, Squirl; but now I can’t get the Welsh lullaby that my grandmother sang to me, “Ar hyd y nos” (“All Through the Night”), out of my mind. I suppose I had best go to sleep.

Fri Sep 15, 11:35:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Bucky, Blogger can be such a shit sometimes. EWF is just uplifting music. And, yes, I did sing that lullaby to you.

Nick, I'd like it if you could find the time to do this one, too. Hope you got some sleep. :)

Sat Sep 16, 06:31:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great post! I love hearing about music from people.

However for all of the questions, I tried to think of answers in my head and most of them were "I don't know." So, I don't think I'll be doing this one. But it is fun to read yours. :-)

Sat Sep 16, 09:23:00 AM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

What a wonderful musical background your family has!! You are truly blessed!

Sat Sep 16, 09:26:00 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Thanks, Danielle, it was fun to put together. When I was first reading this over at Nils' place I saw his great answers and didn't think I could come up with any myself. But if you do try it I'd love to read it. :)

Sat Sep 16, 09:42:00 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

tshsmom, yes, I definitely agree. Thanks!

Sat Sep 16, 09:43:00 AM  
Blogger Susie said...

I like this, too, I may try it soon.
You homo-ner, you! So tickled for you...
Love the politically incorrect lullaby. We used to sing Zippity Do-Da to LG, a lot.

Sat Sep 16, 07:45:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Kittn, thanks, but you have lots of talent, too. Don't sell yourself short.

Bone, is there a song about tiptoeing through the poinsettias?

Susie, I hope you do this one. I'd love read it. Gotta love the non-PC lullabies. Just what we need to teach our babies.

And, yup, I'm a proud homo-ner. ;)

Sat Sep 16, 09:13:00 PM  
Blogger LadyBug said...

Love this post, Squirl. I knew we were both musically inclined, so it was cool to have this peek into that side of you.

Sat Sep 16, 10:25:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Ladybug, thanks! I wish you could find the time and energy to do this one. I'd like to read it.

Sat Sep 16, 10:48:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Bone, just think if you played it backwards at 78rpm. ;)

Mon Sep 18, 01:24:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Bone, if I hear about spontaneous combustion down your way I will swear I know nothing.

Mon Sep 18, 08:59:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

JD, you just go ahead and sing anytime the mood strikes!

Tue Sep 19, 04:54:00 PM  
Blogger Nilbo said...

My dad used to sing "For it Was Mary". Except he changed the words - ar at least sang the Allan Sherman version:

We'll call him Barry, Barry,
That'll be the baby's name.
We thought of Lance or Josh,
but oh, my gosh,
They're not. the. same.

But if it's Barry, Barry,
That's a name with style and grace.
And if he's not a he,
It still could be ...
Like in Barry Chase.

(and I am sorry, I have no idea what the punch line means. I can't believe I can even remember the lyrics.)

Wed Sep 20, 08:27:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Nils, I'm glad you came over to check out my meme.

We used to listen to Allen Sherman when I was a kid. I knew some of those versions better than the originals.

That version of "Barry" fits perfectly. :) I'm not sure about the last line either, though. I googled Barry Chase and the main thing I came up with is a politician from Weyburn, Saskatchewan who was born in 1956???

Wed Sep 20, 09:26:00 PM  
Blogger Nina said...

I just love the lullaby, you come from such a musical family, I'm not the least bit surprised music holds such wonderful memories for you.

Wed Sep 20, 11:43:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Nina, isn't that lullaby something else? Music is really important.

Bone, I'll be listening. I hope I don't smell anything burning.

Thu Sep 21, 09:33:00 PM  
Blogger I'm not here. said...

*bringing over M&Ms to join in conversation*
First music remembered:
Gerry Rafferty
Musical family: Nope, unless you counted what happened after we had a pot o'chili, then we were the friggin' partridge family.
Lullaby: "Go to sleep!"
Song that changed my life: 99 bottles of beer on the wall
3 dead musical dinner companions:
Jim Morrison
George Harrison
Jimi Hendrix
(and if we can sneak in a fourth, John Lennon)
Complete works for island va-cay for one: Beatles or Queen
Music in head: all the time
What song now: We are the Champions
Music vs Beast:
Chloroform really knocks the bastard out in a pinch, but if you don't have any on hand, then play that funky music white booooy!!!
The beast likes the Red Hot Chili Peppers. And a Costo sized box of Reeses Peanut butter cups, if you got 'em.

Fri Sep 22, 12:28:00 AM  
Blogger Lori Denine and her cat said...

I did this one and it is over on my new site.

Fri Sep 22, 11:09:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With Frank Zappa and John Lennon at the table, be ready for some brutal sarcasm. Are you sure you want to inflict that on poor Mr. Cohen?

Fri Sep 22, 02:28:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

MD, thanks for playing! I'd have to say that your answers are to the point. :)

Lori, I'll have to come over and check it. Kind of a busy weekend right now. :)

Thomaslb, you make a good point. How about we let those two go at it and Mr. Cohen and I leave the table to go sing together.

Fri Sep 22, 09:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home