Squirl's Nest

Saturday, May 07, 2005

A really socky story

A while back I wrote about a neighbor I used to have called Jungle Jane. This was in an old building with four apartments upstairs and one studio-style apartment and storage space downstairs.

The apartment I had shared an old wooden deck with one of the other apartments. This deck was old and splintery. I was never sure if it was all that stable so we never just sat out on it.

The cat I had at that time, Athena, did like to prowl around, though. She could go out on the deck and get fresh air and not be out in traffic, as we were on the second story. Of course, she did go missing once. I was looking all over for her and could hear her little cry. Turns out she’d fallen off the deck and tried to get in through a back door to the upstairs. She was stuck between the screen door and the wooden door. Thank goodness she didn’t suffer anything worse than a small cut in her lower lip.

She also had a habit of sock-stealing. She would go out our window and into the neighbor’s window. Then she’d come back in with the neighbor’s sock. I would just go knock on the neighbor’s door and give the sock back. She and I both got a chuckle out of it.

Then one day that particular couple moved out. An older woman and her daughter moved in. Didn’t think much of it until I came upon a pair of pantyhose. Now, at that time, I didn’t wear pantyhose. I also didn’t know this new neighbor and she was a lot bigger than I was.
All I could think of was how splintery that deck was and the condition of those pantyhose. I went out on the deck and quickly through them back in her window. After that I got screen for my window and Athena lost her free roaming rights. I still wonder what that woman thought when she checked out her pantyhose that were probably ripped to shreds.

13 comments

Blogger Ern said...

A sock fetish, eh? I'm glad she was ok after her balcony tumble. Our dog took a flying leap of a second story porch once onto the driveway. He was a little stiff, and cut his chin, but he was fine.

Sat May 07, 12:20:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Courtney, I think all pets love socks. I'm not really sure why. If it's really, really cold I might wear socks to bed, too. I don't have any pets to steal them now.

Ern, it's always scary when your pet takes a flying leap. I'm glad your dog made it through it all right. Yes, a sock fetish. She only seemed to really like the neighbor's socks, though. Wonder what that said about hubby's and my feet???

Sat May 07, 01:03:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Go for it, Kitty. Did the ferrets eat your underpants, too, like dogs do?

Sat May 07, 03:34:00 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

That's funny. You had to protect Athena from the new neighbor's anger. You did what you had to do.

Sat May 07, 04:47:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Jamie Dawn, I might have picked the coward's way out, but at least Athena was safe.

One of these days I'm going to get pictures on my blog and I can show some of my pets from days of yore.

Sat May 07, 04:52:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So That's where all the missing socks go!

mystery solved.

;-)

Speaking of pets that have sock fetishes...
"were we?" you might ask.
"Well, yes, or at least, don't you want to?" I would answer.
...my sister used to have a lovely white male rabbit, white with grey ears and spots if you want to be precise. (I say 'used to have', because he is no longer alive, after a long long life.) Anyway, when this little boy rabbit hit puberty, he started humping all her white socks.

I guess the white socks looked like white girl rabbits to him.

Needless to say, he was neutered shortly thereafter.

She just recently got a brown/black bunny. (I'm still waiting for digital pictures from her to put on my blog.) I wonder if he'll go after the dark socks when he hits his stride, so to speak?

Sat May 07, 07:07:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Danielle, LOL Pets and socks,what is it? Ichabod and I used to have a rabbit for a while. He never messed with our socks but he had his little quirks. One of them was that he liked to run circles around our feet.

Sat May 07, 07:13:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Courtney, what does that say about Dan's feet. tee-hee

Sat May 07, 09:21:00 PM  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

I dunno...if I found my pantihose in that condition, I'd reckon I had a real fine time last night.

Sat May 07, 10:11:00 PM  
Blogger SquirrleyMojo said...

yikes--I thought you were me . . .

Sun May 08, 12:06:00 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

But, Bucky, yer just that kinda gal. :-)

Squirellymojo, I don't lay any claim to mojo so I think we can keep it straight. :-)

Sun May 08, 08:34:00 AM  
Blogger Susie said...

1)the VBD steals socks like crazy. Whenever LG draws a picture of him, he has a sock in his mouth; it's his trademark
2)Somehow my kid has gotten the idea that "pantyhos" is a plural word; one pair of pantyhose is called a "pantyho." It's so funny I don't correct her!
3)the squirlly name similarities reminds me of earlier today, I saw "myrtus," and I thought it was mrtl trying to go Latin on us; but no, it's a different mrt;)

Mon May 09, 08:36:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Susie, pantyho is hilarious. I would've thought the same thing, that it was mrt. And, again, proves my point that pets like socks.

Wed May 11, 01:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home