Squirl's Nest

Sunday, May 10, 2009

In which Annie helps with the living room renovation

Last weekend we ripped up the carpet from the living room and the area that used to be a front porch. This is what it looked like before we moved in.

DSCN2883

The day we moved it rained. That off-white carpet started getting filthy that day and we never seemed to be able to get clean again. The previous owners had also had a cat. Ichabod's extremely allergic to cats. No matter how many times we cleaned the carpet it never seemed to completely come out.

That's why the ripping and tearing of carpet and pad last weekend. I kept busy, off and on, over the past week pulling up the staples that were still in the floor from the pad. I'm not used to physical work at all, but it felt rewarding to have it done.

We were very happy to see oak floor in the living room part.
DSCN6211
DSCN6210
DSCN6215

Unfortunately, whoever planned to carpet figured there was no use in having a drop cloth while painting the ceiling, so there's paint all over. And we're not sure what the front porch area had before they made it part of the living room. But now it's particle board, including a rectangular patch in the living room where the door probably was.

DSCN6214
DSCN6213
DSCN6240

I'm thinking about just getting that rectangle patched with more oak, then having the front porch area carpeted. Seems easiest and cheapest. Should look fine, too. So, since the flooring is all going to be changed I figured it was time to paint the living room. This is the only room on the main floor that we haven't painted. I don't mind yellow, but I'm thinking of something more like a creamy tan. It looks like I should repaint the baseboards, too, because they never finished them down to the floor. I know I'm going to like the outcome, but man, I'm just not much of a do-it-yourselfer. I'm more of a sit around and read, blog, tweet, and play at the garden type of person. But, it will be worth it.

Oh yeah, and while we're at it, we're going to strip the floor of the master bedroom and stain it the same color as the other bedroom. What have I gotten myself into???

But, Annie came this weekend to do some consulting on the work for us. Can you see the doubt in her eyes that we'll be able to do all this?
DSCN6229

She also supervised Ichabod making Seven Layer Salad for the Mother's Day get-together at his folks'.
DSCN6234
DSCN6233
DSCN6237
DSCN6238

Here's Annie trying to figure out what to do with a large green olive that Ichabod gave her.
DSCN6236

We'll be leaving in about a half hour to take Annie home and have burgers on the grill. Hope all y'all have a great Mother's Day!

Labels: , ,

17 comments

Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Annie's got her little painting 'do-rag all ready - give her a brush and let her have at it!

Sun May 10, 05:43:00 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

Mmmm, olives.

Sun May 10, 08:36:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Bucky, if I dip her tail in the paint and put her next to the wall she could get the low parts.

Mr B, Annie didn't think so. But I couldn't make a martini without them. :-)

Sun May 10, 08:59:00 PM  
Blogger Kranki said...

I love the blue in your kitchen. Totally matches Annie too. Have fun redoing the floors. Such hard work but soooo nice when they re done.

Sun May 10, 10:04:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Kranki, the color of the kitchen is my favorite of all the ones we've done so far. She does look good against, doesn't she? Yeah, floor work doesn't sound like fun, but I'm going to love it when it's done. :-)

Mon May 11, 06:48:00 AM  
Blogger here today, gone tomorrow said...

I can't believe someone put carpeting (which I hate) over that great oak floor!

I find that, having lived with animals most of my adult life, I'm incapable of doing just about ANYTHING without their supervision. I'm glad Annie came to the rescue for you both.

Mon May 11, 07:11:00 AM  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

I love the color of your kitchen. I love that light blue or aqua as its called.. She is adorable why want to give her back.. LOL..

Mon May 11, 03:19:00 PM  
Blogger eclectic said...

Ooooh, what a pretty consultant you have there!! Brizzy wants to know if Annie's still single and whether she'd like to hook up. He doesn't mind a long-distance relationship, but wants her to know up front that he can't have kids of his own. ;)

What a great summer project you and Ich have in front of you!! So worth it! But tell me, WHY do people carpet over hardwood floors?!?!?!

Mon May 11, 03:33:00 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

htgt, I can see carpet if the floor was crappy. But this stuff is nice. Yes, Annie made a good consultant/supervisor.

Tweety, I like to think of it as a light turquoise. As I said, it's my favorite wall color here. And, yeah, Annie is a sweety. But she really, really had to go home to her folks. :-)

E, thank you, I think she's gorgeous, too. You can tell Brizzy that she's still single. And they would have to adopt if they wanted pups as she's not set up for that anymore either.
And carpeting good floor is really a shame. I will post pictures when we finally finish it all.

Mon May 11, 06:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Susie said...

Those floors are great. Our old house had carpet over floors like that, too. Don't know what people are thinking. Our new house has carpet and tile over plywood. blech. So we're hoping to replace all that with wood.
Can't wait to see how it all turns out there.

Mon May 11, 07:05:00 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Oh man, what a shame about the wood floor having paint on them. ugh.

I'm with you on the I'd-rather-read-than-be-a-do-it-yourselfer.
No thank you.

Annie looks so pretty. What a good doggie - ready to clean up any fallen bits.

Wed May 13, 07:52:00 AM  
Anonymous Courtney said...

I'm in love with your sofa and chairs. Oh, and your Norfolk Pine. :D

Thu May 14, 01:09:00 PM  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

Hey check your e-mail?? I e-mailed you before I went to work tonight..

Wed May 20, 06:00:00 AM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

I was just thinking about Annie the other day. I'm glad she's doing so well!

Nice floor! It should be easy to refinish it to its former splendor. Too bad they put that chunk of OSB into the hardwood. Maybe you could tile that part?

Sun May 24, 10:02:00 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Susie, knowing that we're going to be refinishing the floors allowed me to slop some paint on them this weekend, too. I'm looking forward to their being finished. Not looking forward to the work.

Danielle, yes Annie is a good dog and would help eat any fallen scraps. Well, she didn't like the olive, but she'd eat most anything else. On the do-it-yourself thing, I painted this weekend. Didn't like the work, but I like the outcome.

Courtney, thanks! With Ichabod's allergies we've found that leather is the best choice. And I will keep that tree until they pry it out of my cold, dead fingers. :-D

Tweety, that's right, sorry I haven't gotten back to you yet.

tshsmom, I think we'll get more oak for that section. Then we'll carpet the front porch part. Looking forward to seeing it all done.

Tue May 26, 08:29:00 AM  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

Thats fine. We have until right before School starts up again to decide.. I am tired though. I am heading to bed. Talk to you later. I worked from 9-5.

Sun May 31, 06:25:00 AM  
Blogger Jenski said...

Did Annie help clean up anything Ichabod dropped? :-)

Tue Jun 02, 10:51:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home